Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

4397's Zetec conversion update

(1/3) > >>

andy harwood:
Due to a variety of factors, I've not accomplished much on this project. Since BDA posted about the ongoing builds, thought I'd update a bit.
First bit - I'm attempting to do the Mazda Miata caliper/Honda disk rotor conversion too. So the VW rear hubs have been turned down to fit the Honda rotors. I have not drilled the rear hubs for lugs, still looking at lug options.
1st photos shows the 3 rear hubs I've been mutilating. L to R, 1.  A undrilled for lugs, disk rotor/hub. the rotor hat is very deep, and seemed unsuitable to use. I cut the hat/rotor off, to use as a hub. As the splines are not as deep/long as the Beetle type hub, this will work with the VW Bus stub axle /100mm CVJ.
2. (middle) Original German VW Beetle hub, This hub will work with the VW Beetle stub axle, which uses the 94mm CVJ. 3. This is a test hub, just used for testing fits, and destroying on the lathe, which was a bit of fun.
The original German hubs, the steel seems to be so much better than the Chinese hub. The trashed hub is from Brazil, seemed comparable to the Chinese hub.
Also in photo, at top, is the red VW Beetle length aftermarket axle, which has a 94mm CVJ on the left, and a 100mm CVJ on the right end. Original black VW Beetle axle below. My transaxle is a NG3 from Banks, with Banks output shaft CVJ flanges, which are 100mm. 100mm CVJ's are 2mm thicker than the 94mm CVJ, so the stock VW Beetle axle will not work with the 100mm CVJ.
Below that is the upper link made from 3/4 DOM tubing.
At bottom, is the right side upper link bell housing mount. I made it from 3/16th mild steel. It utilizes all the mounting point on the bell housing, and at the bottom, the lower link bolts pass through it.
2nd & 3rd photos
I made new shock mount brackets, and cross brace. Thanks to BDA's suggestion, I made the transaxle mounts where they would attach to the cross brace. The cross brace is 1/8" thick tube. The cross brace 3 piece, so the center can be removed with out having to remove the shock mounts. The transaxle mounts are made from 3/16th and 1/8th mild steel.
Also visible, transaxle mounts connected to cross bar by polyurethane bushings. The same bushings are used for the motor mounts, and at the rear hoop mounts.
Since the cross brace will have added stress, I added a flange to each shock mount.
Everything is just tacked together, in case I should have to change anything. So - I would really appreciate if I'm doing anything that is not going to work, it being pointed out :D

andy harwood:
These photos are basically just mock ups.
First photo shows the left side inboard upper link mount. The front side mounting point for the upper link bolt has not been made.
The clutch arm will have to be moved a bit.
2nd photo is the outer mount point for the upper link. This bracket will not accommodate the 100mm CVJ.
New mounting brackets that will accommodate (hopefully) either the 94 or the 100mm outer CVJ have been made, but not test fitted yet.

surfguitar58:
Looks extremely solid Andy. Nice workmanship!

BDA:
I second what surf said! Nicely done!

Skywalker:
Hi Andy,
I have followed the correspondence regarding Richard Mann's rear hub modifications and noted your comments concerning the VW stub axle but have only recently seen your entry last year, hopefully things have progressed somewhat since then.  I have a standard Europa and obtained an NG3 box with Fuego bell housing, I am keen on using Richard's CV joint conversion and have found a site selling the Alfa CV axles at reasonable prices but the BMW stub axles are almost impossible to find these days. 

Seeing that you are using a VW  stub axle setup, I have been looking at the dimensions and they seem nearer the original Hillman Imp sizes.  Which stub axles are you using? is it the IRS Beetle or the Bus one?  What is the overall length and the width of the CV flange?  I decided to stick with the rear brake drum setup as I did over 25K miles on my first Europa and never had a braking problem so hope to keep it simple - I am also much older nowadays and my track days are over!

Good luck with yours, it is looking really good! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version