Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

3780R Resto - Engine Restart

(1/17) > >>

DManglano:
Looking for advice on the best way to restart an engine that has not run for 18 years.
I intend on rebuilding the 175 CD-2 Stromberg carbs.
Draining and replace old fuel.  Inside of tanks look very clean.
Drain and replace engine oil.  New oil filter.
Rebuild fuel pump.
Replace fuel lines.
Replace spark plugs.

Any other suggestions?

Any good restart procedure?  Have watched some you tube videos and they suggest putting some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and manually turning over the engine before actually restarting.

BDA:
 :Welcome: , DMaglano!

I think you have a pretty good handle on it. The Marvel Mystery Oil might be a good idea in case there is any rust on the bores and/or rings. I would replace the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one, but if you're going to keep it, you should rebuild it. Make sure you have a metal 'T' between the carbs. It's surprising that your tanks don't have any rust! I don't like the lip around the top because it can collect water. I might paint them with some good epoxy but it's a pain to take them out and if they're as nice as you say, you can postpone that. While your carbs are off, it would be a great time to install a Pertronix ignition.

When you go to start it the first time, disconnect the ignition and make sure you get oil pressure before you fire it up.

I may have gone a little overboard, but I think you have the idea.

Let us know how it goes!

jbcollier:
After the oil and filter change, pull the spark plugs, put a couple shots of light engine oil in the cylinders and give it a half hour to work it’s way in.  Disconnect the wire from the distributor at the coil.  Crank in 8 to 10 second bursts until you get oil pressure on the gauge.  Put the plugs back in and it’s ready to start.

I would not rebuild the carbs until after you get it running.  Do drop the float bowls and dashpot covers and clean everything out though.  Overhauling the carbs is an involved process and you lose all your base settings.  The car ran before so the carbs should be somewhat in the ballpark.  Good enough for a first start anyhow.

DManglano:
Hey JB,
Like your idea of not rebuilding the carbs at first. Question though. Do I have to pull the carbs to drop the floats and dash pot covers?

jbcollier:
No, just take the intake plenum (box) off and you can reach under to undo the screws.  I've done it loads of times.  Just do one at a time.  Float bowl gaskets and dashpot diaphragms might be needed.  The diaphragm has two tabs.  The inner one indexes to the dashpot, and the other to the carb body.  It lines up the dashpot so the two holes in the bottom are towards the throttle plate (closer to the engine).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version