Author Topic: Flame Thrower Coil - Really  (Read 1236 times)

Offline andy harwood

Flame Thrower Coil - Really
« on: Sunday,March 24, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »

After making a mounting plate, I relocated the coil and fuel pressure regulator to the bulkhead.
Reattached all connections, reaching under the intake and reinserting the coil lead in distributor.
Cool, everything worked, for about 40 miles. Started misfiring, lost engine power, got to roadside.
Opened engine compartment to find a small fire around distributor. I guess I didn't get coil lead inserted fully and arcing heated things up until the wire boots caught on fire.
Small grass fire from dripping rubber too. Fire extinguisher very helpful.
Now, I'll remove distributor cap and make sure wires are fully inserted.
andyh

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Re: Flame Thrower Coil - Really
« Reply #1 on: Monday,March 25, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »
WOW, your lucky it was only confined to the dizzy.  :headbanger:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Monday,March 25, 2013, 10:48:06 PM »
That's a bit of a chilling thought, isn't it ? a fire caused by arcing because a lead wasn't in properly ?  The explanation seems right on the money to me and it's something I shall try to slot into the memory banks for whenever I'm replacing leads. Good post, thanks for sharing.

Brian

Offline 3929R

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,March 26, 2013, 08:42:11 AM »
Fire extinguisher very helpful.
  Yikes!  I've been thinking of a second extinguisher to be mounted in the trunk (already have one in the cockpit) 
« Last Edit: Tuesday,March 26, 2013, 08:44:31 AM by 3929R »
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline katanaman

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,April 02, 2013, 10:54:40 PM »
    Yikes!!!  Strange how well a car can run when something so evil is lurking in the background...
    A fellow I knew long ago (his dad was a pastor...) told me about how the "famous" downhill ride on the coast at the beginnings of U.S. Route 1 -- this is the high point for cyclists doing the coast ride -- was typically exhilarating.  Usually the temperature drops, as cyclists are moving back toward the coast and away from the warmer inland area.  He pulled over after enjoying dangerous curves and high velocities, to put on another layer of clothing.  He felt something touch his leg -- and noted that the handlebar moved because the stem wasn't tight!
  It's a good thing you had the extiguisher ready!  I am becoming increasingly aware of all of that free moving air surrounding the engine.  A good warning for us all...                                                                                                                             Dan R