Author Topic: Irish / N.Irish Members  (Read 3490 times)

Offline 1973JPS

Re: Irish / N.Irish Members
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,April 12, 2018, 07:50:19 AM »
I've just received this email from Lotus on the subject ....... maybe of some interest to others as well

Dear Richard,

Unfortunately without documentation, the full truth cannot be provided and this is why there is so much confusion. I have asked two retired colleagues about these badges, one says they were nothing to do with Lotus and another says there were, so as you can see, even ex-employees have mixed memories/knowledge so it is no wonder members of the public have conflicting ideas too.

I have not seen any evidence to support these were fitted by production. Based on numbers provided by customers, the numbers are far too random to be production fitted, and so I personally believe these were supplied by sales and marketing or distributors for the US cars.

Any documentation I have seen shows 100 for USA, so why some US customers have plaques showing 1** numbers again is a mystery.

In Europe the early cars appear to have oatmeal trim while the US market cars had black trim. Again without factory build records showing trim I cannot confirm.

Remember many people also claim that these were a limited edition, but this is not true, a black Europa Special was available from launch until the end.

Andy Graham

Aftersales Administrator and Archivist

LOTUS AFTERSALES

Part of the GEELY HOLDING GROUP

Units 6 & 7 John Hyrne Way, Longwater Business Park, Costessey, Norwich, Norfolk NR5 0AF England

T: +44(0) 1603 732178 | E: agraham@lotuscars.com
« Last Edit: Thursday,April 12, 2018, 08:07:17 AM by 1973JPS »

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Thursday,April 12, 2018, 09:17:51 AM »
Interesting info. This is a link to an article on lotus-europa.com about JPS Europas (http://www.lotus-europa.com/jps.html). I think Andy's email is another point of information about a subject that seems to be mostly conjecture.

Offline bikenut

« Reply #17 on: Saturday,April 14, 2018, 02:59:23 AM »
Wow thats amazing ,you have owned it 41 years???? Looking forward to following your progress on it.I am still looking for my Dads JPS he bought new in Jan 73,reg number MMO597L.The car was on here with pics in 2016 so I know it still exists.All i remember about the dash plaque was that it was on the dash when the car was delivered to our house by the dealer.The dealer told us there were only 100 JPS made,I think ours was around 061 to 069,I thought for years it was 063 but some one else has that number.Its all a mystery,maybe as Lotus say there were no limited editions and the badges were a marketing ploy.But it worked on me because as a kid i loved to look at that dash badge as we drove along in her.I can even remember the new smell of the interior and the sound of that wonderful engine behind me.Happy memories.
« Last Edit: Saturday,April 14, 2018, 03:09:30 AM by bikenut »

Offline 1973JPS

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday,April 18, 2018, 02:21:04 AM »
Interesting info. This is a link to an article on lotus-europa.com about JPS Europas (http://www.lotus-europa.com/jps.html). I think Andy's email is another point of information about a subject that seems to be mostly conjecture.

Yes BDA its another interesting addition to the speculation.

Offline 1973JPS

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,April 18, 2018, 02:43:37 AM »
Wow thats amazing ,you have owned it 41 years???? Looking forward to following your progress on it.I am still looking for my Dads JPS he bought new in Jan 73,reg number MMO597L.The car was on here with pics in 2016 so I know it still exists.All i remember about the dash plaque was that it was on the dash when the car was delivered to our house by the dealer.The dealer told us there were only 100 JPS made,I think ours was around 061 to 069,I thought for years it was 063 but some one else has that number.Its all a mystery,maybe as Lotus say there were no limited editions and the badges were a marketing ploy.But it worked on me because as a kid i loved to look at that dash badge as we drove along in her.I can even remember the new smell of the interior and the sound of that wonderful engine behind me.Happy memories.

Hi Bikenut....its either amazing or a bloody disgrace that's its taken sooooo long to get round to restoring not only our car but our passion as well.

The "100 myth" was probably true but when sales took off due to the fantastic combination of JPS colors I think the temptation to continue building them took over.

I just received our Certificate of Provenance and it quite clearly states that there were 250 built for the UK market so who knows how many others were built for export.

« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 18, 2018, 03:00:27 AM by 1973JPS »

Offline 3929R

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday,July 03, 2018, 02:08:37 PM »
I just received our Certificate of Provenance and it quite clearly states that there were 250 built for the UK market so who knows how many others were built for export.

I think it states that there were 250 black Europa Specials built for the UK but it makes no mention of the John Player Specials (JPS). Presumably this is because it is not known how many of those black cars had a numbered JPS badge adhered to the dash. I think all JPS are black but not all black Europa Specials are JPS.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline dakazman

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday,July 03, 2018, 03:55:18 PM »
 :Welcome:

Wow, 41 years in the same family, original owner?? Those are very rare.
Welcome again,
Dakazman