Author Topic: Camping In A Lotus  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Camping In A Lotus
« on: Thursday,August 30, 2012, 03:23:32 PM »
As a personal trial of intestinal fortitude, I went camping in the Lotus. Been wanting to do it since before I even had received the car. I finally managed to do it last week and I had a blast. Two campgrounds, five nights, and 722 miles, and aside from the occasional bout with stop & go traffic fouling the plugs, not a whisper of a problem. I mounted an assault on some of my favorite driving roads upon which I had not yet had the pleasure of driving the Lotus. The weather was perfect, the scenery was wonderful, the traffic was light, and the Lotus never missed a beat. I can think of no better way to spend a week, and I'm looking forward to next year's trip already. I was sad it ended.

This is all in preperation for longer road trips, perhaps eventually driving across Canada and back. This first trip was a total success, and I made some notes to improve future trips. More pictures on my photobucket album http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/Bainford/Lotus/Lotus%20Camping/

The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline benbeames

Re: Camping In A Lotus
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,August 30, 2012, 04:17:46 PM »
 :trophy:

This is even better than my old usage of my Europa to go to Costco with (you'd be amazed at what you can pack in there, especially without a passenger). 

My friends and I had this semi joking idea that we'd take my Europa across the US just to see what would happen.  It was only a fun notion though as we never really thought we'd be able to do it.   But you're well on your way to accomplishing such a distance.  Way to go!

Offline Steve

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,August 30, 2012, 07:03:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing that story!!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,August 30, 2012, 09:50:58 PM »
Some great photos there although having to wear an anti-midgie veil (or whatever you guys call them ?) looks like you're camping in Scotland ! (Scotland has a very bad midgie problem, so bad they make a national joke about it)

And you're right to plan long trips, I think people forget these cars were designed to be used as daily cars, the idea of a car as a track day toy just didn't exist in the UK of the 1970s. The Europa started out as a cheap updated replacement for the Seven but ended up as a Lotus's version of a grand tourer - which is exactly what you're using it for !

So good on you  :beerchug:

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,September 04, 2012, 08:20:49 AM »
Thanks guys. It was great fun and I'm already planning next year's trip.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline 3929R

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,September 04, 2012, 12:58:27 PM »
Sounds and looks like a great trip!  I need to go for an overnighter around here.

I especially like the last photo in your post.  It captures what it is like to drive a Europa.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline cal44

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,September 05, 2012, 07:43:29 AM »
Trevor,

I didn't want to reply to your photos, why?,  I love that car and didn't want it going to your head...............the color works so well.
The pictures of the robust people looking at the engine is a jewel.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,September 05, 2012, 08:57:38 AM »
Thanks guys. I agree that the last picture does much to illustrate Europa ownership. I'm not really much of a socially outgoing person, but owning a Europa certainly forces a degree of social interaction upon you. I really don't mind, actually, and oftentimes quite enjoy it.

Mike, thanks for the kind words, and I promise to not let my head swell too much. I love the colour, too. I wasn't terribly fussy about colour when I was shopping for a Europa, but during the couple of years I spent shopping three cars came up for sale in this colour and I kind of liked it. When I bought this car I thought it look nice in person, but figured I would eventually give it some fresh paint, probably in a dark met green or possibly a dark met brown. However, in the mean time, the current colour has really grown on me, and most people who see it quite like it too. The paint is far from great and doesn't stand up well to a close inspection, but it looks great in photos or rolling down the road, or just standing 20 feet away. With any special interest car I've had, paint is always one of the last considerations, preferring to spend my time and money on the mechanicals, so painting this car is not something that will happen soon. Besides, the current paint is the original stuff as applied by Lotus, so changing it will be difficult to do. When the time comes, we will debate it here on the forum. Cheers.

Trevor

Offline cal44

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,September 05, 2012, 10:51:54 AM »
Color change for that car is off the table................there, decision made.  I prefer driver paint.  That way no tears are flowing over a rock chip.   
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,September 05, 2012, 11:19:49 AM »
Color change for that car is off the table................there, decision made.  I prefer driver paint.  That way no tears are flowing over a rock chip.

:) :) Cheers Mike. That's a load off my mind.  :beerchug:

Trevor

Offline Steve

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,September 16, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
Another vote for the current color from me!

How many red or yellow ones do we need anyway?

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #11 on: Monday,September 17, 2012, 06:18:28 AM »
Cheers Steve. I guess if I want a Europa in a different colour, I'm going to have to buy a second Europa.  ;D

Trevor