Author Topic: Tire size for spare?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline cal44

Tire size for spare?
« on: Wednesday,August 08, 2012, 01:28:37 PM »
I just bought (4) some new 175/13"'s (Michelin) for the Europa.  But the new rubber is wider forty years later.  The 175 will not fit into the trunk for the spare.....test fit.  So,  what size does fit?.  No, I have not bought the spare tire yet.

Subject car:
'73 TC
Thanks in advance.
Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline benbeames

Re: Tire size for spare?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,August 08, 2012, 02:43:12 PM »
I had a 175/70 (I think) R13 on my spare in the front compartment for a while before I stopped carrying it.   The tire was only about 5 years old and it fit fine.  Anything smaller (or less inflated  :)) ) should also fit. 

Unless my S2's front compartment is bigger then a TC?

What part of the tire isn't clearing?

Offline cal44

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,August 08, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »
  I tried fitting in the newly install tire and rim.  Perhaps I should try again tomorrow.  I also will try the 165/13 Vredestein from the Elan and see how well it fits.  It is funny trying hold up the hood with one hand and wrestle in the stinkin' tire.  the prop rod is no use as it doesn't hold the hood far enough forward.

Perhaps this warrants  making a longer prop rod.

Mike
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,August 08, 2012, 10:56:21 PM »
The one which came with my car was a 155x80 on a standard Lotus steel rim. The wheels on the car are the 185/70 & 175/70 options, and although I've never used it I think it's roughly the same diameter.  That fits in the front with no problem. I just flip the lid over centre so it holds itself open and there's plenty of room.

I'm currently thinking about moving to 15" wheels (for the modern rubber selection rather than looks) and that might mean a new spare. I'm told folks buy the space saver spares for the MGF which has the same PCD (95mm = 3.75") and although being a 15" wheel, supposedly fits in the front.  But before rushing out to buy one I shall stand the 155x80x13" wheel alongside the 15" wheels and see just how far out it is - I suspect it's close enough to be ok to limp home on.

Although the space saver idea sounds good, you still have the problem of where to put the punctured wheel afterwards. With that in mind I always carry a pack of 2 of those aerosol "instant fix" things, which are becoming the non-optional spare on many cars these days.  My plan has always been to use the aerosols first, if they don't work then it's dirty hands time.....

Offline 3929R

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,August 09, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »
My spare wheel is not steel but alloy (aluminum) to match the other 4.  Taking the old 175/70/13 wheel and tire out required some finagling.  I haven't tried to put another back in.  I can't decide between a spare or a can of "fix a flat."  I would never carry the flat can in my other vehicles but the Europa will be pavement only so do I really need a full spare?

As for the front lid/ hood/ bonnet, what is the problem with carefully tilting it all the way forward to rest on the stops instead of using the prop?  Seeing the prop I first thought resting it against the stops might stress or break something but in practice I don't see that happening. ????
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline benbeames

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,August 09, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »
I should have said the 175/70-13 tire I refered to as my spare is on a 6" cosmic aluminum rim that matches the other wheels.

My prop went MIA before I bought the car so I always just rest the lid all the way forward. 

Getting the spare tire in and out wasn't a breeze, it took some wiggeling and moving of the lid to get it down in there, but it always went in and once in could even be shifted an inch or maybe a little less from its clamped down position before hitting the coolant lines.

For polling reasons, I now use a can of flat fixer as a spare.  Though my free 100+ tow package on my AAA card is the real spare.

Ben

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,August 09, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
I plan on buying a donut spare. Honda uses a 13" tire on it's spare. I have found them used on eBay for about $30.00 to $50.00. I'm sure your local pick-ur-parts would have some. Tire size is 105 80 X13. Since it's just to limp home I would rather have the space in the front trunk area. I plan to mount the tire on a stock Europa steel rim.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,August 09, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »
The original spare with an aluminum wheel was a front wheel and tire which was a 165-70/13.

Offline cal44

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,August 09, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
Thanks guys.  My Plus 2 also has a 5 1/2" wide wheel/s.   I'll need to ponder this issue..............

Mike
United States Marines