Author Topic: Front Panel Fitment  (Read 652 times)

Offline RoddyMac

Front Panel Fitment
« on: Tuesday,May 31, 2016, 08:07:53 AM »
I'm slowly getting my car closer and closer to being in paint, I've spent the last few weekends filling and sanding all the small voids on the body.  But, when i was sanding the nose of the car with the bonnet lid (or at least that's what the factory called it) in place, I noticed that the RH side at the front (almost where the pivot bolt is) was proud of the body by about 3/16".  I know that panel fitment wasn't the greatest, but has anyone modified the bobbins to make the panel fit better?

My thought is to open the hole in the bobbin to a nominal size then turn up a new collar for the bolt and bond it (using something like JB Weld) to the bobbin once I've aligned and wedged the panel in place.

Rod

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Front Panel Fitment
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 31, 2016, 08:14:46 AM »
If you put in a smaller diameter bolt just to hold it in place 3/16th lower, does the rest of the bonnet line up all around?

The fit of the bonnet, boot lid and doors on any fibre glass car is nowhere near as good as that on a metal panel car but 3/16 is more than I would expect. 3/16 = about 5mm and I would expect 3mm is acceptable.

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,May 31, 2016, 08:28:54 AM »
I had the same problem with my bonnet, but it was lower than the adjacent fenders.  I filled the bonnet with body filler (about 1/8" of filler) then used high build primer and a lot of sanding, then more primer and more sanding to get the bonnet shape correct.  In your case, I would but pieces of tape over the threaded holes where the pivot bolts screw in, then set the bonnet in place, get it aligned properly and reach in thru the open nose of the car to use a pencil and draw thru pivot bolt holes in the bonnet and draw circles on the tape.  This will tell you how much out of alignment you are.  You can decide what to do from there - you could over bore the pivot bolt threads and insert an off-center internally threaded bushing.  I'm about the same place where you are in getting ready for painting.  I have found that the panel fits worsen over the years - the fiberglass seems to change shape due to its thinness and age.

Tom
75 TCS - 4605R

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,May 31, 2016, 08:37:14 AM »
4129R,
I haven't tried a smaller bolt to see if things line up.  The headlamps are out so I can get the back side of the bobbin in the body, I'll try it on the weekend. 

And yes, I am very aware of the poor fitment of panels on plastic cars.  I'm not aiming for a perfect fit, but one that's a bit better. 

Tom,
The tape and marking is a great idea.  The eccentric internal threaded bushing, i think, is a bit too much work.   I'd rather mess with a plain hole than a threaded one. 

Rod

Offline buzzer

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,May 31, 2016, 08:41:03 AM »
also check the curvature of the bonnet to the wings. On mine this was not lined up. if you get the front to line up, in the centre of the bonnet may be too low our the rear corners too high?
I ended up putting 3 slots in both sides of the bonnet sides about 1/3 up  the bonnet about 4 or 5 inches apart. I then squeezed up the bonnet and used gaffer tape on the outside of the bonnet sides to temporarily hold the new shape. then offer up the bonnet. a bit of trial an error to get the right profile. Then glassed up the side slots from the inside, removed the gaffer tape and fill. Hey presto !! a good fitting bonnet. Also had to do the same on the rear engine cover.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,May 31, 2016, 08:46:36 AM »
Dave,
Good suggestion, though the panel fit seems to be ok other than the front corner being a bit off.  Once I try the smaller bolt/wedging the thing in place, I'll check over all fitment.

As for the engine cover, mine sits too low in the middle, but just right at the front and the rear.  I'm planning on putting some foam strips down the channels in the body to push the middle up and stop any rattling/squeaking.  I've temporarily put some foam/packing in and the panel fits much better.   

Rod