Lotus Europa Forums > Resources, Parts and Products

engine cover hinges

(1/2) > >>

grnicholson:
I needed the engine cover hinges and the price was ridiculous from the usual sources.  I then discovered that Morris Minor bonnet (hood) hinges will fit with a small trim to the end by the rear window - and they are a fraction of the price from a Lotus dealer. - and, they come complete with gaskets.

EuropaTC:
Well, now that is an interesting option and thanks for posting.

Not knowing what they look like I just did a quick search and found proper chrome on brass hinges for around the same price as old Hillman Imp/Kit Car  Mazak ones used on our cars.  And if I'm honest, they actually look a better designed component although of course that's down to personal opinions.  I think I might pick a set up for the spares cupboard, the ones I have on the Elan are looking a bit tired now.

Good find that man !

Music City Lotus:
The engine cover hinges are from a Hillman Imp front bonnet

Bainford:
I just googled the Morris hinges myself. I agree with Brian, very nice looking hinges. If I was painting my Europa, I'd fit a set of these.

pboedker:
I have such a Morris Minor and just went out to take a better look at the bonnet hinges.

But since they are located on the curved edge of the bonnet so that they are at the same time pointed inwards on the bonnet and tilted towards the side of the car I doubt that they can be an easy fit to the more straight surfaces of the Europa engine cover in a way so the hinge pins will be inline.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version