Author Topic: George Best... who ever that is...  (Read 1855 times)

Offline surfguitar58

George Best... who ever that is...
« on: Wednesday,January 16, 2019, 05:49:14 AM »
Pinterest is always throwing random stuff at me and this morning pictures of footballer George Best and his Europa came up. (No pictures of him wearing a helmet, he must play for the Cleveland Browns in the NFL, which is why I've never heard of him  ;) )

Anyway, his UK registration number NNB730H is clearly visible, and I gather from this forum that in the UK reg numbers travel with the car for life. Just wondering if anyone on this forum ended up with this apparently famous car.

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: George Best... who ever that is...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,January 16, 2019, 08:41:44 AM »
I've not heard of anyone claiming to have George Best's old car, and given how big a celebrity he was in his day I think it might have been mentioned.

According to our DVLA (licensing thing) the car hasn't been taxed since 1984. That could mean it's been exported, used as a racer or is simply lying in a barn somewhere ripe for restoration. I don't know if this link will work or if you have to re-submit the reg. number, but this is what they have on record;

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle

Brian

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,January 16, 2019, 02:04:49 PM »
Another yellow one.

I don't know how must George Best's ownership of the car would increase the value, but his passenger would put the price up for me considerably.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,January 17, 2019, 09:06:05 AM »
Another yellow one.

I don't know how must George Best's ownership of the car would increase the value, but his passenger would put the price up for me considerably.
:I-agree:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,March 27, 2019, 01:49:48 PM »
I stumbled into an article about George Best and this car. I don’t remember much about the article, but it provided one of my favorite quotes. He was credited with saying (and I might be paraphrasing) “I’ve spent most of my money on women, booze and cars.... everything else was just wasted!”

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,March 28, 2019, 01:23:57 AM »
George Best was a genius footballer and the epitome of a 1960's playboy.

Another of his quotes was:

"If you'd given me the choice of going out and and beating four men and smashing a goal in from thirty yards against Liverpool or going to bed with Miss World, it would have been a difficult choice. Luckily, I had both"