Author Topic: Free hand painted - versus tape stripes for 3307R  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Free hand painted - versus tape stripes for 3307R
« on: Sunday,June 09, 2013, 06:14:22 PM »
The dilema : Stay original or be creative, I really could not decide which way to go. Both have merits and drawbacks, but in the end I bit the bullet and hired a 17 year pro of the steady hand process. Never having seen a Europa, my new pal Dennis made the 50 mile trip to my house. A total of 9 area applications were involved, we talked price and agreed. Then we spent the next hour scouring over photos and making exact measurements. Using a tape line only for his hand, he started dipping & brushing. I had to walk away! Not knowing what to expect, I figured to leave the artist to his work and not disturb him.. 3 hours later, he walked into the kitchen and said he was done. I was stunned by the work, flat and even, beautiful lines and spacing, color match and radius bends...Perfect ! Well worth the money ($300) including travel and I will gladly recommend him if you are planning adding a few lines to your ride. ld   
« Last Edit: Sunday,June 09, 2013, 06:26:28 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Free hand painted - versus tape stripes for 3307R
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,June 09, 2013, 09:46:25 PM »
I'm surprised he finished in 3hrs, there's a lot of lines to draw on a Europa. The guy clearly has skill.

When I first bought my car the original owner had applied black pinstripes but as black tape over the yellow paintwork. It's not a TCS so I don't know if he did it or the Lotus dealer, but they didn't sit well with me and after the first respray I didn't bother to re-apply them. And there's no hope of me ever being able to paint them on, so I've kept to a plain finish.

The hand painted stripes you have there look much better, definitely the quality that such a paint finish deserves. I think you got a bargain, I bet the guy has a queue of work.

Brian

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,June 09, 2013, 10:32:09 PM »
Very nice work!! Wow! I'm still debating on if I should put stripes on mine... The Blue goes so well with the chrome and silver sills, I think the gold would clash it, would it not?

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,June 09, 2013, 11:06:53 PM »
You could try silver stripes ?  If you're not sure about it then I'd either photoshop a picture of your car or buy some stick-on vinyl pinstriping to see if you like it. 

Black and gold work really well together but the stripes have to be a contrast IMO. I remember back in the 80s a friend had a metallic brown TCS which had gold pinstripes from new, and you could only see them close up.

Brian

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Monday,June 10, 2013, 06:33:46 AM »
Lou, I am very impressed with the stripe work exhibited here. This is perhaps the nicest Europa panel striping I've seen. I really like the idea of painting versus tape. I also think the paint stands the test of time better then tape, and it's a lot easier to wax and polish the car since the tape doesn't like that treatment and as a result over time tends to dull. When the time comes to paint mine, I think I would like to go this route.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline 3929R

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,June 12, 2013, 11:03:19 AM »
Those stripes look GREAT! 

Black and gold work really well together but the stripes have to be a contrast IMO.
I agree, which is why I'm surprised that I like my gold on yellow stripes.  Maybe I'm just use to them?
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA