Author Topic: Chassis design to acomodate Ford Zetec engine  (Read 2263 times)

Offline David.laRuse

Chassis design to acomodate Ford Zetec engine
« on: Tuesday,July 10, 2018, 06:00:27 PM »
Does anyone have Plans to strengthen a 1972 chassis to handle a Ford Zetec Drivetrain? 300 HP? Please help, David.laRuse

Offline jbcollier

Re: Chassis design to acomodate Ford Zetec engine
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,July 10, 2018, 09:14:40 PM »
Spyder did/does make a space-frame chassis for a Zetec conversion.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »
On the Foose Europa conversion, the frame was reinforced for the new (Toyota/Lotus) engine. The mod was shown in the video. seems some sheet metal was bent and added from the "Y", rearwards? The owner (7-upJohn?)posts here on occasion, maybe he will chime in. I think the video is on youtube. What exactly are you doing to your Zetec for 300hp?

Offline David.laRuse

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 01:26:32 PM »
300 HP is what I hope I can convince a Mechanic is reasonable. What would you think a more reliable figure. I want the car to be reliable to use on the street. How would I get in touch with "Spider", to acquire a chassis? David.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 01:42:32 PM »
I can't help you with your Zetec but 300 hp does sound a bit "aggressive" for a street motor.

As for Spyder, they make very well respected Europa frame and rear suspension components. Their website is here: http://www.spydercars.co.uk/lotus-europa-chassis-wheels/ Banks has good frames too. Richard puts a lot of very interesting engines into his cars. I'm sure he can help you with a frame and any mods necessary (if any are): http://parts.banks-europa.co.uk/orders_frame.htm

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 05:38:27 PM »
Omex has some crate engine that they modify. You may get some info and ideas from their site.http://omextechnology.co.uk/Omex%20Zetec%20Focus%20Engine%20v4_02.pdf
« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 05:40:22 PM by andy harwood »

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,July 11, 2018, 10:40:04 PM »
200hp is about the limit for a naturally aspirated streetable Zetec. You can get maybe 250hp with a turbo, but 300 seems unrealistic. My Zetec dynoed at 182hp and the Spyder frame handles this well.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #7 on: Thursday,July 12, 2018, 12:18:31 PM »
I'm using a Dunnell Option Kit 2 on my Zetec in a stock frame. I think the 170 to 180 HP is more than enough of an upgrade from the Lotus TC 115 hp.

http://www.dunnellengines.com/zetec_carb_optionkits_2.php

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #8 on: Friday,July 13, 2018, 06:36:03 AM »
The Banks Chassis will accept the Zetec engine quite easily - its been done quite a few times in various states of tune and i know of other engines that have been fitted with 300+ hp that the chassis was capable of handling... (consider suspension, braking etc to compliment your desired power output.)

Theres a recent thread here (hope the link works?!) of a Zetec engined Banks chassis car that may be of interest;
http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=2365.0

The biggest issue that you are likely to encounter with that sort of power is the transmission, there are plenty of upgrade options but realistically to be sure of reliability you should really be looking at alternative transaxles and that can become very expensive.

Power outputs around 200 hp make for a very rapid Europa - balanced against weight (aim for no more than 700kgs) and there will be little that you meet on a track day that you can't either keep with or embarrass!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #9 on: Friday,July 20, 2018, 07:35:33 PM »
From what I have read anything much over 200hp is difficult to achieve on a Zetec unless you go FI. What kind of engine modifications do you have in mind?

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,July 25, 2018, 11:58:15 PM »
I'd think that 300bhp has to be a turbo, and probably with uprated rods/pistons/hardware. It would certainly be interesting to drive, as you've then got a power to weight similar to a Veyron. Possibly a bit excessive, but hey, there's only one way to find out.

Personally I'm going for a Zetec 2.0 on twin carbs and mappable management, and aiming for 160bhp-ish. Hoping to keep the car down around 600kg, so I think that'll be plenty quick enough. If I get bored with that I'll get the head reworked and add some lumpy cams. For me it kinda fits with the ethos of the car. Light, nimble, carrying speed through the corners.