Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

New Europa owner w questions

(1/4) > >>

TGM:
Hi all, new to the forum and Juat purchased a 1972 TC Europa. I'm trying to get the car running well after the previous owner neglected it. It has about 35k miles, all original with strombergs. The car sat for a while outside and water got into the rear carb (no air filter was on the carb and the engine vent covers were removed. I found a milky like oil in the pots of carb. Anyway, after getting fresh gas to the carb the car starts, but feels like its running on 2 cylinders and won't idle. I replaced the plugs and the wires/cap/rotor look good. Cleaned the points. When it runs, some gas spits out of the rear carb (where the air filter goes).

How do I check the carbs and rule out some other problem? If I take the strombergs off and disassemble, what should I look for?

Thanks,
Tom in NJ

cal44:
Tom,

was this the maroon car on Craigslist?   I would have the carbs gone through, I reckon they need it anyway.

Mike

EuropaTC:
Welcome to the Forum Tom,

If the car starts up ok then it could well be that the strombergs are the problem. You note that it feels like it's on 2 cylinders, can you run it and then, by pulling the plugs out, find if it's 2 adjacent cylinders ? (hopefully the ones fed by the rear carb  ;) )

From your description of the car though I think I'd strip both carbs down to start with. Anything that's left for a long while ends up with petrol evaporating and leaving a nasty residue in the carbs (modern petrol in the UK seems to be getting worse in this respect) and said "gunk" can end up wandering around and blocking jets, etc.  Also with the car being standing for so long in less than ideal conditions I'd be wary of any rubber on the carbs, again this could have deteriorated & split.

Let's know what you find as you go along...

Brian

TGM:
Thanks guys. Yes this is the car that was on the New York Craigslist.

What's the difference between a regular twin cam and "special". This car has the big valve engine with 4 speed.

cal44:
Tom,

when you do the carbs make darn sure you have a fuel filter in place.  There may be crap in the tanks.   Last year we did a Sunbeam Tiger that was so bad from sitting for twenty years that fuel would not pass through the fuel pipe to get to the carb.  There was more waste in the tank than there is in Washington D.C.................

As too the answer on the TC vs. TC Special.......I look forward to an answer as well.  I think the Special got bigger rear brakes....the same size as the Triumph Spitfire GT6 (one of my favs), I think.  Increase in H.P to 126 from 115 and the 5 speed optional  on the Special and not the TC?
Brian............a little help here.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version