Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Twin Cam block grading

(1/2) > >>

Pete Gossett:
I was reading about the LA, LB and LAA grading used on the twin can engine blocks last night. One of my engines was partially disassembled when I hauled this mess home, so I popped out to the garage this morning for a quick look. I was surprised to discover my block has no markings. This engine is from my '73, and as far as I know is the original lump. Was Ford no longer stamping the blocks by then?

For that matter, is there a way to determine whether this is the original engine?

cal44:
Pete,

Look for casting numbers.  They will be on the left side.  Stamped numbers will be Vin numbers, right side, if present.  If I have written in error someone please correct me.  Throw us some pics of the block/s.  There will be something on there for I.D.

As for the LA, LB and LAA. I would need to do homework as I am not familiar with those letters.

Mike

Pete Gossett:
It was related to the thickness of the cylinder walls, but I don't know much beyond that.

I'll grab some pictures of the engine from the '73. It's mostly apart and on my bench. The '72 is still in the car.

Pete Gossett:
Here are a couple pics from the '73. I really couldn't see the numbers on the left side, but I think they read 282?

cal44:
Pete,

I should have written the side of the block, towards the front.  Sorry.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version