Author Topic: New UK Member  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Nick74R

New UK Member
« on: Thursday,December 21, 2017, 01:07:19 PM »
Hello to all Europa enthusiasts,

I thought I'd write a few lines to introduce myself... Nick, from the Old Country where I live in Suffolk, just 40 miles south of the Lotus factory. I have been a Europaholic for over 25 years now, initially starting Lotus ownership with an 1986 Excel SE before progressing onto to a 1986 Esprit Turbo. But it was an advert in one of the UK classic car magazines that drew my attention with the heading 'Unfinished Europa Project for sale - all components present, most of them in tea chests! Being blessed with a very practical nature, I purchased said car and spent the next 5 years converting it into a Type 47 replica using a highly modified chassis and 47A shell. Completed in 1997, I had many happy miles of motoring over the next 2 years before selling it to a hill climb enthusiast. I attach  a couple of pics resplendent in its white/green stripe paint scheme (original Lotus Components colours).
Once bitten with  the Lotus mid engine bug I always hankered after another one, so  after building quite a few other cars for various customers (Ginettas, TVR, Elva etc) I decided in my semi retirement years to do another Europa, this time with a difference. Painted in McLaren papaya orange and powered by Ford 2.0Litre Zetec through Renault NG3 transaxle it uses a highly modified Banks chassis and wishbone suspension fore and aft. I could rattle on for hours with details, but for now post a few pics separately for viewing purposes.

Whilst at a race meet at Watkins Glen 15 years ago I met several Europa owners who had travelled miles to attend the historic Race meeting...I wonder if they've still got them. Talking to many Loti chaps both at the factory and at the various Lotus gatherings, the concensus is there are probably more Europas in the USA and on the European Continent (after all that is where they were original marketed).
It will be nice to hear from like minded folk and exchange stories.
Bye for now.

Offline jbcollier

Re: New UK Member
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,December 21, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »
Very, very nice indeed!

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,December 21, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »
I've already replied to your other thread but I thought I'd do this:

:Welcome:, Nick!!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Friday,December 22, 2017, 10:04:31 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Nick. The white Europa looks like one mean machine. It must have been a fun drive. Looking forward to seeing photos of your latest Europa. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,December 30, 2017, 05:13:51 AM »
Welcome again Nick.
A true semi retired professional you are.

Dakazman