Author Topic: Ongoing builds  (Read 10062 times)

Offline BDA

Ongoing builds
« on: Monday,January 15, 2018, 07:18:34 AM »
Since I'm retired and clearly don't have enough to do, I recently made a list of members who are in the process of a significant Europa build that is being discussed on this forum. In fact I think all of these are body-off builds.  :welder:

Clifton
RoddyMac
CertifiedLotus
Nigelc
Serge (also becoming a YouTube star)
Yellow16TS
2766R
Andy harwood
Dakazman
Racurley

4129R (deserves special mention since he seems to be on a mission to resurrect every old Europa he can find)

I think that's a pretty fair number for a group our size and for the small number that were originally built!

If I've left you out, please don't be offended. My memory isn't what it used to be, and it was never very good! Please add your name to the list and if you haven't been posting about your progress, please start - and post lots of pictures!  ;D

If you're done, maybe you can add your car to the gallery.

Offline andy harwood

Re: Ongoing builds
« Reply #1 on: Monday,January 15, 2018, 07:30:10 AM »
Yes, my rebuild is a complete body off.
Hopefully this year I'll devote more time to this project.
(but, been enjoying free time a bit much)

Offline gideon

« Reply #2 on: Monday,January 15, 2018, 07:39:48 AM »
I'm starting to disassemble 1265R.  The next tricky bit on my list will be getting the doors off, so I'll post something to let you know how that went (or didn't go).  I have to replace the frame, and the car hasn't been driven for many years, so I'm definitely in deep.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Monday,January 15, 2018, 09:25:24 AM »
It’s great that a number of of people are doing frame off rebuilds. I review everyone’s posts and always get some new information or perspective on their project and how it relates (or not) to mine.

Keep up the great work guys!

And special mention to Serge who seems to be able to do all his work with a very limited set of tools, but a lot of enthusiasm and sheer will power.  :welder:

I hope to have my Europa completed and road tested before LOG in August so I can drive it there. It will all be up to the body shop finishing in early spring...........
« Last Edit: Monday,January 15, 2018, 09:30:18 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #4 on: Monday,January 15, 2018, 09:45:27 AM »
Great list BDA. I think writer/car guy Rob Siegel is in here somewhere also.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Monday,January 15, 2018, 09:58:35 AM »
When I emailed him when I read his series on the Hagerty Insurance website to encourage him not to loose heart and to finish his Europa, I mentioned about this forum and the yahoo group. He said he had joined but at the time his Europa project was dormant at the time. He said he would be back on when he was able to get back to his Europa.

Maybe he's back working on his Europa now and he can tell us about it!

If you're here, we'd love to hear from you, Rob!

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #6 on: Monday,January 15, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
4688R was a body on to new chassis rebuild.

4259R will become a body off rebuild, as one of the seat belt mountings has sheared off in the centre of the chassis, and one long front suspension bolt (the one that slides into the footwell) is rusted solid in situ.

I am worried that heat necessary to try to get the suspension bolt out will actually set fire to the fibreglass.

Most of 4259R has been removed for the complete reno, so the body off is only a days work from starting to lift it off. 

During the cold dark wet weather, my activities are restricted to rotary wire brush and painting all parts removed.

4259R had the anti-roll bar links cut off, no roll bar, the pins on the bottom of the shox cut off, and the right side bottom arms badly welded not bolted, so it must have been in a suspension re-arranging crash. Also both rear shocks were bent 20'-30' as was the rear trailing arm long bolt at the front by the petrol tanks.

Luckily the spares that came with the cars (4688R and 4259R) covered all missing and damaged suspension arms and roll bar with links.

I bought a metal guillotine to cut sheet metal accurately by hand, so I can cut plates to weld on to the top of the petrol tanks.

Roll on longer daylight and warmer weather.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #7 on: Monday,January 15, 2018, 03:40:11 PM »
 Good thread BDA, we also have members doing complete engine rebuilds. It’s a daily must read for me. USA and the Uk here also. At times it seems my build is stalled, sometimes overwhelming and then we read the obstacles others are dealing with and just want to help.

Again a shout out to Serge and his videos.

Lastly to all the hero members and so newbies who pass on great advice, Thank you!

Dakazman

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #8 on: Monday,January 15, 2018, 07:27:19 PM »
I'm not doing a body off rebuild, but I will be rebuilding all of the mechanical parts.  I'm mostly retired so this is my retirement project.   I'm hoping to learn a lot during the process.  I'm not doing a body off because my car has only 24,000 miles and is very original, down to the original exide battery.  I started from the outside in.  I buffed the original paint, which came out nice and now I'm working on the interior.  Next will be the front compartment/radiator, then the front suspension, rear suspension and then engine/gearbox.   I have posted a few questions and a hello when I first started.  I'll try and update my progress.

The car is a 1973 TCS

Sherman

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Monday,January 15, 2018, 07:39:23 PM »
Hope to hear more from you and see some pictures, Sherman!

On a car that old and with that few miles, I would be concerned about the brakes, including the boosters. Make sure they are ok. Are you keeping your boosters? They can be rebuilt or retrofitted or even deleted with a M/C change.

Pay close attention to rust and all your rubber pieces. Good luck!

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,January 16, 2018, 04:55:52 AM »
Mine is also a body off restoration

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,January 16, 2018, 05:25:21 AM »
Looking good, Running! Sorry I missed you in my original count. Do you have any expectation for when you'll be done?

Offline buzzer

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,January 16, 2018, 08:44:24 AM »
And mine.
And yes I am guilty of not posting stuff on progress.  total rebuild of everything!!! :headbanger:
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,January 16, 2018, 09:25:29 AM »
Looks nice, buzzer! I'd love to see more pictures of your baby!

Offline seniorchristo

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,January 16, 2018, 04:17:58 PM »
Sherman
I met a guy this past summer who was in the middle of a Europa rebuild and lives in Colorado Springs.  He had just completed the transaxle rebuild.  I forget much about the car as he had about a ten British classics I was enamored with.  He is good friends with Ross Robbins of Lotus Elan fame.  If I ever remember his name I'll let you know.
Chris :D