Author Topic: New member...  (Read 3046 times)

Offline katanaman

New member...
« on: Tuesday,August 14, 2012, 07:01:53 PM »
Hi, everyone!  There will be no pictures from me for a while.  Why?  I don't have my car yet -- right now it is 1000 miles away.  My name is Dan Rinker, and I live by the sea in Washington state in a town called Ocean Park.  I acquired a 1977 MGB in February, and after having sorted out most of its problems, feel that it is now time to go for my dream.  So... with my newly acquired LBC skills and being retired, I have launched into my new project.  I have bought the red Mazda powered S-2 that was on eBay a couple of weeks ago.  My Greyhound trip to Anaheim begins in 2 days.  I will bring my favorite MG tools (a Mity-Vac -- go figure!!!) and a few clothes.  My sister lives about 40 - 50 miles away in Moreno Valley, where I will go over the car for as long as it takes to feel it's safe to launch for home.  The car is described in the eBay page that doesn't exist anymore, but even so I won't know what to expect until I see it in person.  Apparently, on installation of the rotary Mazda engine, the clutch was changed to a hydraulic actuated one, probably the Mazda one.  And the owner has told me that there is a slight problem with the flex hose for it, so I know for sure that this will be one area getting great attention.
  I haven't dealt with the sliding components in the drumbrakes the Spitfire brakes do, but I am sure I can deal with those.  I feel that the next problem area, and maybe there is no problem, would be to assure that there is enough capacity in the stock cooling system to deal with the new powerplant.  So, I will need to determine that. 
  Mostly I will go through the measures the MG websites tell us to use when one wakes up a car from a long slumber.  I can take a closer look at maybe restoring the S-2 to the Renault engine it was spec'd with when new, later on.  After I get used to the extra 20 hp. the rotary will have.  Gee! Maybe not!!!
  I hope to post while I deal with these issues, before the car leaves California for Ocean Park.

Offline benbeames

Re: New member...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,August 14, 2012, 07:21:09 PM »
 :beerchug:

Congrats on the purchase!  Sounds like a fun ride.  I'm looking forward to pictures.

Ben

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,August 14, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dan. That sounds like quite a project you've got there but at least by the time you get the car back home you'll know it very well !

The mazda engine is an unusual one for a swop, at least over this side of the pond because the rotaries have never really sold well here. I'll look forward to seeing how it all goes together.

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,August 15, 2012, 09:43:05 AM »
Wasn't this was it? 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lotus-Other-EUROPA-S2-MAZDA-ROTARY-1971LOTUS-EUROPA-S2-PROFESSIONAL-MAZDA-ROTARY-INSTALL-/251108970711?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a7742d0d7

Welcome.  I am like a five year old............I like pictures.........but, I can wait.  Good luck on the trip.  You don't want too be in Moreno Valley now........unless you like walking on the surface of the sun :))

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,August 15, 2012, 11:58:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I remember seeing your car on line a couple of times and was always quite curious about the conversion. I will be interested to learn more about it when you get it home, and seeing some pictures as well. I'm wishing the very best of luck on your drive home. Cheers
 :beerchug:
Trevor
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline 3929R

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,August 15, 2012, 01:07:23 PM »
Congratulations!  May your adventure go well!  Your's must be the one that Cal44 posted a link for?

I hope it cools off in So Cal for your trip, not for the sake of the car but the driver.  Consider the engine is a few inches behind you, the coolant pipes are in the frame beside you, the black interior, and the aerodynamic rake of the windshield seems about optimal for a solar oven! 

Are you planning to mosey up the coast on 101 and 1 or make a bee-line home on 5?  If you have the time, the coast sure is gorgeous!
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Penguinspeedshop

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,October 25, 2017, 04:53:56 PM »
Dan your car has ended up in my shop in the UK for a full restoration along with a pallet of spare parts including an engine in parts.
Could you tell me what the engine is from I’m assuming it’s the Renault 16 engine
We got the rotary running after a while and it runs well with no noise or smoke
I will post pictures of the build if you like funny how it started life in the uk and now it’s ended up back here

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #7 on: Thursday,October 26, 2017, 12:00:09 PM »
WOW! 5 years later this car shows up in the UK. That is quite the journey for this little S-2.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Penguinspeedshop

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,October 26, 2017, 04:15:01 PM »
Yes joe funny how things happen