Author Topic: Nick74R...Pics  (Read 6563 times)

Offline Nick74R

Nick74R...Pics
« on: Thursday,December 21, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
Here are a few pics of my current project.
Hope you enjoy...

Offline SwiftDB4

Re: Nick74R...Pics
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,December 21, 2017, 01:38:55 PM »
Wow Nick, outstanding! Please give some description to your work and details.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,December 21, 2017, 01:39:35 PM »
Beautifully done, Nick! You seem to have some features of S1s and TCs that I think work well.

Can you tell us more about your car? Mods, purpose (presumably at least a part time track car)? Did you build it? Just anything!

edit -
Well, I just found your other post so I have some of the particulars but I know I'm not the only one who'd like to know more about this car!
« Last Edit: Thursday,December 21, 2017, 01:42:59 PM by BDA »

Offline Nick74R

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,December 21, 2017, 01:55:46 PM »
Thanks for your interest. Yes I did the whole thing myself bar painting and welding which I leave to the experts. I'd better sit down and compose the whole story, but not in a way to the extent of becoming boring. It has just been featured in a 5 page article published in a UK magazine called TKC (Track Kit and Custom). Very briefly I've incorporated a 47 seat shell, highly modified!, roll cage, 220bhp on the rolling road, rear rocker arms suspension fabricated by ex Lotus 79 engineer (just happen to have one within a few miles of home as you do!) front and rear fuel tanks, Titan dry sump system etc etc. Car is more at home on the track than the road. More details anon...

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,December 21, 2017, 02:34:31 PM »
Nick...Remarkable, truly outstanding, a very lovely piece of kit...welcome to the group.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,December 21, 2017, 03:17:04 PM »
There is is, right on the cover: "Orange Crush"! Incredible job!

Too many questions to fire off one at a time. Can't get the mag here in the states, but would love to hear details about your build.  :coolpic:

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,December 21, 2017, 03:28:51 PM »
Very impressive build Nick, my complements! Yes, please provide a lot more insight. This group will devour all the details.

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,December 21, 2017, 04:08:43 PM »
I'd better sit down and compose the whole story, but not in a way to the extent of becoming boring.

Not possible, Nick! I don't think there would be a single detail that wouldn't be of intense interest to everyone here - maybe especially the members here are in the middle of some their own very interesting builds!

I'm not sure how much you can relate about the article about your car given copyright concerns, etc. but whatever you can tell us would be great! Don't forget we love pictures!  ;)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #8 on: Friday,December 22, 2017, 10:09:34 AM »
Very impressive equipment, and fitted to a very high standard. You do excellent work. For sure one of the nicest Europas I've seen. Thanks for posting.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #9 on: Saturday,December 23, 2017, 12:25:18 AM »
Hi Nick, and  :Welcome:

As the other folks have said, that's a pretty impressive build with both imagination and technical work showing in there.

Serious question -  why do some cars arrange their suspension with a cantilever design like your rear suspension ?  I can see at the front it might cut down on drag but are there other tech reasons for it at the rear or is it just an available space issue ?

Brian

Offline Nick74R

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,December 23, 2017, 08:09:57 AM »
Hi Brian,

Thanks for kind comments - certainly rocker arm at the rear is better for it keeps the spring/shock out of the air, is more adjustable with addition of the push rod (LH thread one end, RH thread the other), plus it keeps the thread for the spring seat on the shock a lot cleaner if it's not subject to all road/track grim that could otherwise be thrown at it.  Because my alloy rocker arms are not concentric, ie the centre of the shock bolt is near to the pivot bolt than the push rod bolt, the shock travels less distance in its movement under compression/decompression. On steel shocks the thread tends to be much finer and the adjustable spring seat can seize (unless liberally coated with copperslip or the like). Plus it looks good too!

Nick.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #11 on: Sunday,December 24, 2017, 01:37:24 AM »
Because my alloy rocker arms are not concentric, ie the centre of the shock bolt is near to the pivot bolt than the push rod bolt, the shock travels less distance in its movement under compression/decompression. On steel shocks the thread tends to be much finer and the adjustable spring seat can seize (unless liberally coated with copperslip or the like). Plus it looks good too!

Ahh - I didn't get that from the photos, but I can see where it comes in.

I wondered if it was just about resolving the loads which does look an advance over the OEM set up but I hadn't picked up on the suspension movement options. That's a cute idea compared to the original where the damper reflects the wheel movement at the same ratios.  I can see where that might come in for a track or race car.  Thanks for the explanation.

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #12 on: Sunday,December 24, 2017, 02:14:17 AM »
Very pretty and the quality of the work looks excellent!

Serge

Offline dakazman

« Reply #13 on: Saturday,December 30, 2017, 05:09:01 AM »
Welcome to the forum Nick.
I’m all most at a loss for words because so many questions keep coming to mind .

You excelled at bringing this half century old car a modern but retro , clean, machine.

We hope you take some time to share your details . We will not be bored.

Dakazman

Offline Nick74R

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday,January 10, 2018, 09:15:53 AM »
Some more pics of my Twincam restoration in reply to Skippopotamus' question on Nigel's thread...

Firstly, the arrowed area you have highlighted is the lefthand blanking panel I made out of GRP to cover the end of each sill area (did this on both sides) and you can see this in the first picture where it has been refaced (white) and then rubbed down. To achieve this I first cut a piece of GRP sheeting and trimmed it to fit each end of the rear sill, and with the smooth side polished and facing outward, glued them into place using a hot glue gun. Next step was to lay up 2 layers of 400g GRP matting and let cure. Then I cut the large hole in each the size of the rubber bung. This bung incidently is the one originally fitted up the front on top of the tunnel to cover the handbrake arm. The next bit was the fiddly part as it was a question of separating the new matting with the original glued on GRP piece, then breaking that up into pieces to retrieve through the hole.
Finished off by sanding the inside, refacing the outer and sanding down.
The purpose of each hole is to allow access to the rear of the door striker plate bolts.
A fiddly job, but a very satisfying one when completed!
The other pictures show what I was left with once the old rear end had been cut off and a new section (coloured black) grafted into place.