Author Topic: Rear Brake shoes  (Read 1002 times)

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

Rear Brake shoes
« on: Sunday,October 15, 2017, 05:53:53 PM »
HI:Bernie back at the barn!!!
I am replacing the rear brakes and have put in two new cylinders along with those pesky retainers that go in behind the plate(s).
Now the real question:What is the easiest way of putting the shoes back in place with those return springs that go in place on the inside of the shoes?
The lower goes in first but the upper one is the "problem spring".
I have included a pic the better show the situation.
Thanks

Offline jbcollier

Re: Rear Brake shoes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,October 15, 2017, 05:56:57 PM »
Put the return springs on the shoes and wiggle them into place.  Then fit the shoe retaining pin, spring and cap..

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,October 15, 2017, 06:20:29 PM »
HI:"wiggle them into place".
About an hour later and a bruised knuckle or two I was thinking there is a trick to this.
I did put the two springs in first before putting the pair to the plate but the top spring has a complete mind of its own and not one that cheers me.
I will be back at it in a month with renewed vigor but what really bothers me is I did this once before (about 40 years ago) with out this much grief.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,October 15, 2017, 11:08:51 PM »
When I had drum brakes I used to assemble the shoes with springs as John says.   I'd fit the tops to the cylinder/handbrake assembly, fit one side into the bottom adjuster and then use a big screwdriver against the shoe/hub to lever the other side into place.  In fact the big screwdriver is probably my tool of choice after the hammer....   lever, chisel, drift, heck you can even tighten screws with it as well  ;)

Offline buzzer

« Reply #4 on: Monday,October 16, 2017, 02:13:51 AM »
Yep, Brian's description of the way to do it is the best. Once you know how to do you'll wonder what the issue is. springs on shoes engage one then the other using a big screw driver lever on to mounting while holding the other shoes back to the plate. Then fit the retaining pins and springs. You'll next get them on with the retaining pins in place (well you'll be lucky if you do)
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #5 on: Monday,October 16, 2017, 04:21:02 AM »
HI:Thanks for the feed back.
I can see one issue that I had.
I tried to put the top of the shoe(the one on the other side of the emergency hook up)on last.
My next go will leave the lower shoe corner off to do last.
Thanks again
Bernie