Author Topic: Crossflow liner seals  (Read 413 times)

Offline dakazman

Crossflow liner seals
« on: Thursday,January 27, 2022, 02:09:18 PM »
   I just received my liner seals, should I use some hylomar  sealant along with the seal when I set the liners?  Then when to test the water leakage ? On the wedge I used the liner " HOLD DOWNS" .

Dakazman

Offline GavinT

Re: Crossflow liner seals
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,January 27, 2022, 04:53:59 PM »
Are these the paper / velum seals?

If so, the factory says to fit them dry but that assumes all surfaces are excellent.
First priority is to assess the surfaces.

On a 50 year old engine they're probably not entirely pristine so a light smear of the thin Hylomar on the ally block seems a reasonable belt 'n' braces procedure - same for the O-ring seals.

It's probably not necessary to test for water leakage if the above is in order.
Just double & triple check the liner protrusion is correct before final installation.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,January 27, 2022, 05:59:14 PM »
  Thanks Gavin.
These are the O ring type , not paper.  . The block has a 45 degree chamfered edge.
I read that the height is determined by the liner itself.  79 mm piston bore .
  I placed the liners in the block without the seal and they do extend slightly above block . I will measure with the o ring installed next. I just didn’t want to ruin the seals. I’ll read through the r 15/17 manual again.
Dakazman

Online jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,January 27, 2022, 08:22:19 PM »
I would use either Hylomar Blue or Permatex Aviation Gasket Maker #3.  Neither of these sets and they both work well with o-rings.  Do not use any "silicone" sealers.  Most react when exposed to antifreeze.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,January 29, 2022, 02:48:31 PM »
Thanks Gavin And JB ,
  I have two manuals both do not cover these seals on the 807/ 810  they must be covered in something that had an 843. R 15/16/17 no good.
 I called my friend Jose in homestead Florida that has worked on Renault products for 30 years .
He had the same answers. He also has many gearbox and engine parts available.
 Gavin, I need that complete rocker assembly for an 807 or 843 . I keep searching for a fuego 1.6, 2.0or a 1.3 euro model.
Dakazman

Offline GavinT

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,January 29, 2022, 07:22:17 PM »
Dave,

In your part of the world, a Fuego 1.6 should be correct.
You could also search for Renault 16TS, TX or Renault 15 or 17 that use the cross flow engine. All that family of 1.6 litre crossflow engines use the same rocker gear.

The 2.0 or a 1.3 are different engines.
In Europe some of the models above used the smaller 1.3 engine which weren't used here in Oz. A lot of that had to do with how they determine European road registration charges, so bear that in mind.
And just to be contrary, here in Oz, we only got the 2.0 Fuego - had one myself and not a bad engine at all.