Author Topic: Help with rear brakes  (Read 1111 times)

Offline kiwiokie

Help with rear brakes
« on: Sunday,September 10, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »
Was going to adjust rear brakes and handbrake before I got my TCS back on the road and found the rear brakes do not look like the workshop manual or parts book.  There is no adjuster at the bottom of the shoes and the piston has a ratcheting wheel but the handbrake lever looks to have no mechanical connection to the teeth on the wheel which may be why I have no handbrake at all.  Can anyone help me understand what I have and what part I am missing to connect the handbrake?

Offline kiwiokie

Re: Help with rear brakes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,September 10, 2017, 10:24:21 AM »
So upon further investigation it looks like these are self-adjusting pistons that use the handbrake lever to turn the toothed wheel and adjust for any play in the shoes.  The springs on the shoes also do not fit like the parts book indicates.  I was expecting there to be two holes in each shoe, the inner hole for the spring hook to pass through with the end of the hook connecting in the outer hole.  There is on the trailing shoe but the spring is not connected correctly but there is only one hole in the leading shoe leaving the spring to connect with the back of the hook and not the tip which does not seem ideal.
« Last Edit: Sunday,September 10, 2017, 10:28:06 AM by kiwiokie »

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,September 10, 2017, 10:43:34 AM »
Okay, looks like I have rear drums from a Triumph GT6 Mk3 with self adjusting pistons.  Springs look to be correct per other pictures I have found through Google.  Will try to adjust them and put it back together.  Then see if I can get the handbrake to work.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,September 10, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »
My memory, which is probably suspect, is that the rear drums were self adjusting and since the e-brake acted on the front (I think) shoe, it is adjusted with everything else. Adjusting is done by braking while reversing - again from my memory.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,September 10, 2017, 01:12:39 PM »
The self adjusting system doesn't work very well.  Myself, I would drill a small hole in the backing plate so could adjust the brakes with the drums in place.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #5 on: Monday,September 11, 2017, 08:32:02 PM »
Thanks guys.  I can manually actuate the handbrake lever with the road wheel on and hear the wheel ratchet so adjusted "by ear" until the wheel stopped ratcheting.