Author Topic: Took the plunge - gulp  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Midnight

Re: Took the plunge - gulp
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,September 07, 2017, 07:09:15 AM »
Well my quest for the tc bellhousing has begun, literally missed one by a few days from a fellow Europa owner here in Essex. I did manage to pick up an NG9 gearbox though.

Incidentally, can anyone tell me what the face to face (gearbox to engine) measurement is of the TC bell housing, just roughly, may have to start getting inventive as I do have the gearbox on my ST170 engine, haven't really looked at it yet but possibly an adapter plate comes to mind, assuming that I don't end up having to alter suspension setup.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #16 on: Thursday,September 07, 2017, 07:59:35 AM »
Banks has them.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #17 on: Thursday,September 07, 2017, 09:02:03 AM »
I checked the CAD file I have for my build, and I came up with a measurement of 5.5" (face to face).  I can confirm this on the weekend when I'm out in the garage if you want.

Offline Midnight

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,September 07, 2017, 10:16:07 AM »
Apparently, Richard doesn't have anymore a few have come asking for them and he's not planning to retool for another run for a year or 2.

Thanks RoddyMac, that would be useful, all I can imagine is what our significant others think of us when we nip off to the garage to measure bits of our cars ;D

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Thursday,September 07, 2017, 10:30:39 AM »
I had a reply but I must have deleted it by mistake.

There are modifications that are supposed to be done on the TC bell housing. You might want to consider these mods to determine if the bell housing you have is adaptable. Here's a link to pretty much everything you need to know when adapting an NG3 to a Europa. There is a mention of the differences between the cable shift and rigid shift linkage schemes but it's primarily for rigid shift linkage.

http://www.greytower.com/jon/lotus/europa/gearbox/gearbox.html

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #20 on: Thursday,September 07, 2017, 11:12:36 AM »
If Photoburkit hadn't decided to extort people, I did have a bunch of photo's in my build log that sort of document the adaptation of a TC bellhousing to NG3 & Zetec.  I still have the pics, but I haven't found time to re-host them.  But, what BDA linked to is pretty much the same as I've done in regards to the input shaft bearing.  What isn't shown is the clutch release bearing modification that my set up required.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #21 on: Thursday,September 07, 2017, 12:35:34 PM »
The SVT bell housing to the Renault bell housing mate up may be possible - here's a photo of a Mazda/Renault mate-up. This is from the FB Europa group