Author Topic: 73 TCS/JPS on LA area Craigslist  (Read 2933 times)

Offline BDA

Re: 73 TCS/JPS on LA area Craigslist
« Reply #15 on: Monday,March 06, 2017, 07:10:00 PM »
I'm not one who values originality as much as others, but if I wanted a JPS, I would want that plaque on the dash. Knowing it was the right VIN that was a JPS but somehow the badge got lost wouldn't do anything for me. Nice to know, but beyond that, I wouldn't care.

Knowing how meticulous you are, I wouldn't be surprised that your car would get top dollar!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 03:53:48 AM »
Although I'm also not a big fan of completely original cars. I like it that an owner spent time on well installed or designed upgrades that enhanced performance. But if a car is supposed to be a "special" model and the only way to tell is a badge......it dam well better come with the badge.

I'm in your camp BDA. No number disc, no special model (despite the fact that it's only difference from other TCS is the number disc).

I lowered my offer substantially because it's not a true JPS. Plus it needs an entire frame off rebuild and the engine doesn't turn over.

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 07:34:11 AM »
Even if it had been a JPS, the car was still over priced for what is.

Have to wonder though just how much of a premium a JPS has over a plain Jane black TCS in the same condition and equipment. For reference, my old JPS #188 sold for $22.5k a year and a half ago. To someone it was worth the money. I don't think I would have paid that much for it myself.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/gallery/73-Original-JPS

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

I sold my #185 two years ago for $24K (top dollar then) even though the car had some issues and was an older restoration showing some signs of aging, but i believe it got a few grand more in premium pricing because it retained its badge.
My greatest concern and fear then and now, is the fear of the badge being stolen!  Of course it would be made known publicly which badge number was stolen, but it's just stuck on the dash and anyone can reach in a pry it off, then i'd be up the creek with a devalued car.   I will always be locking my doors at car shows in the future.   Paranoid, probably, but cautious, YES!
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 11:03:55 AM »
Curiously, of the 200 JPS Europas built only about 400 or so are known to survive today. ;)
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »
Andy can certify the 200?? I need to get mine checked out...2979R built Dec 72

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #20 on: Friday,March 10, 2017, 06:43:38 PM »
The car is off Craig's List. I wonder if he sold it? Told him it wasn't one of the 200 cars via email and he didn't respond.  I'll bet someone bought it based on his "word". He was very convincing on the phone.