Author Topic: Drive shaft seal width  (Read 577 times)

Offline maxcar

Drive shaft seal width
« on: Monday,November 08, 2021, 03:57:40 AM »
I’d like to replace my old drive shaft seals and would like som help with identifying the correct ones. My car is a 1968 S2 with the original 336 gearbox.

Franzose sell the differential bearing nuts, which also need replacing.
https://www.franzose.de/en/Renault/R16/Getriebe/ANR80154/
They would fit, wouldn’t they? They include this seal, which is 7.5 mm wide.
https://www.franzose.de/en/Renault/R16/Getriebe/ANR81092/
But then there is another seal, of 11/12 mm width.
https://www.franzose.de/en/Renault/R16/Getriebe/ANR81310/
Which is the correct one? From experience, I’ve come to not taking anything for granted when it comes to the Europa, so I’d appreciate some advice.
1968 S2

Offline jbcollier

Re: Drive shaft seal width
« Reply #1 on: Monday,November 08, 2021, 08:40:40 AM »
According to Lotus Supplies (Banks) the wider seal fits the 336 and the narrower the 352/365.

According to RD Enterprises lists it the other way round!  Wide = late, narrow = early.

If you are going to use your original diff nuts, then take one out, after carefully marking its position, count the turns and mark the release point and check which seal is correct.

If you are changing your diff nuts, then the ones for the R16 4 speed will work.

OK, now the bad news, if you are changing your diff nuts, you need to pull the tranny and remove the bell housing so you can set up the diff freeplay and preload properly.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Monday,November 08, 2021, 09:03:20 AM »
The oil seals may be different sizes on each side of the diff.

Measure the internal diameter (the driveshaft that fits in the seal) that the external diameter (the hole it fits in) and its thickness at the outer edge, and you can order the seals on eBay easily. 

Offline maxcar

« Reply #3 on: Monday,November 08, 2021, 05:01:05 PM »
According to Lotus Supplies (Banks) the wider seal fits the 336 and the narrower the 352/365.

According to RD Enterprises lists it the other way round!  Wide = late, narrow = early.

If you are going to use your original diff nuts, then take one out, after carefully marking its position, count the turns and mark the release point and check which seal is correct.

If you are changing your diff nuts, then the ones for the R16 4 speed will work.

OK, now the bad news, if you are changing your diff nuts, you need to pull the tranny and remove the bell housing so you can set up the diff freeplay and preload properly.
Thanks for making a good effort in clearing things up, even though it does seem a bit hard to find an absolute answer. I’ll just have to see what comes out of dismantling it. I’ll consider whether it’s worth the effort to change the nuts.
1968 S2