Author Topic: Thinking about getting an M3  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Chuck Nukem

Thinking about getting an M3
« on: Tuesday,November 10, 2015, 01:38:50 PM »
Anyone want to sway me away from the darkside of business casual sporting? I drive about 500-1000 miles a week for work, I figure since I do all my own maintenance I might as well have something with real leather seats!

I'm shooting for an E46 coupe 6 speed.

Lotus progress coming soon...I promise....the truck is killing me!!

Offline TheKid#9

Re: Thinking about getting an M3
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,November 10, 2015, 07:39:32 PM »
My mom owns an M3 E46 convertible 6speed. It is amazing, plenty of power and torque. It is a hell of a machine and is very reliable and dependable. I love driving it, not as much as the lotus cars but every time I drive it, I know that I won't have any problems. My dad owns a 335i which has even more power and torque. It is 4 doors if you are wanting some more room. Both are great cars. Reliable, fast and comfortable for every day use. You can achieve good mpg if your not on it all the time as well, especially on the interstate.

I'm in the same boat as you right now but... I've been looking at Ducati's. I know I shouldn't even think about it but wouldn't it be cool?? Some one needs to sway me away!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,November 11, 2015, 06:38:47 AM »
Haha you asked the wrong guy! I would love to have one of the 748/916/996/998 bikes. Which one are you looking at?

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,November 11, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »
I have the same mindset as Chuck. I've owned and have ridden sport bikes for 40 plus years. One of my must haves in life is to eventually own the iconic Ducat 916. Go for it.

Joji Tokumoto 

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,November 11, 2015, 10:24:51 AM »
What is the speed limit over your side of the pond?

The most we can do here in the UK legally is 70mph.

I use a Golf R32 (3.2 litre V6 and 4WD) for daily use and its 155mph top speed is likely to cause me a problem one day.

An M3 with all that power and only 2WD is a handful in the dry, and leave it at home when it rains. I have heard an extremely competent Ford Work rally driver leave the car at home when it rains.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,November 11, 2015, 10:40:33 AM »
It sort of depends. I believe the highest posted speed limit is on part(s) of a Texas Interstate Highway has a speed limit of 85. The highest speed limit I encounter on the East is 70.

However there are large swaths of the West that are so sparsely populated that there are no speed limits for all practical purposes.

Of course for some of us, speed limits are essentially a suggestion!  ;D

Offline 4129R

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,November 11, 2015, 10:46:35 AM »
My other toy has 459bhp and 2WD and is dry use only. In even damp conditions it swaps ends easily.

Our motorways have bridges with cameras or vans with cameras lurking. The first you know is an official brown envelope with your full name on the address with an invitation to contribute to the governments finances, and 3 penalty points on you licence.

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,November 11, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »
Haha you asked the wrong guy! I would love to have one of the 748/916/996/998 bikes. Which one are you looking at?

I've been looking at a 996, that's the one I really want. However, I have never driven or rode on a bike before so the 748 might be the one to buy first to get used to the bike. I'm only going to have it for summer driving at first and then maybe have it at school with me but I'm not sure yet. Since I have no experience with bikes I'm hesitant but I do want to try it out and get into the bike scene. If I'm going to buy a bike I'm going to get a Ducati, plus my dad even said he would want one...

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,November 12, 2015, 05:27:44 AM »
Three votes for the 748 era bikes! I certainly think now is the time to grab one. Kid, I wish my father was and understanding as yours!! Mine is a doctor and I grew up in a NO BIKES environment. No sports cars for that matter as well. If you were just looking for a bike to learn on you can pick up a japanese 500 pretty cheap, ride it for a season and then sell it. I think most people drop their first bike at least once...

4129R, Our speed limits are 85 out west and 75 for most of the highway. Like BDA mentioned there are some stretches of the west that are basically uninhabited and I am on quite a few of those back roads. Its the lower speed limits I am more worried about breaking :0

I am going to test drive one today....Guy is selling it because he "Was a car guy in high school, thought I might get back in to it." He then stated, "All my friends recently bought 4 wheelers, so I want to get in to that now." Ahhh the sad life of a BMW owner.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,November 12, 2015, 09:29:02 AM »

I've been looking at a 996, that's the one I really want. However, I have never driven or rode on a bike before so the 748 might be the one to buy first to get used to the bike. I'm only going to have it for summer driving at first and then maybe have it at school with me but I'm not sure yet. Since I have no experience with bikes I'm hesitant but I do want to try it out and get into the bike scene. If I'm going to buy a bike I'm going to get a Ducati, plus my dad even said he would want one...

With no previous bike experience, you may want to rethink getting a Ducati as your first bike. You can shrug off the cuts and scrapes after your first crash but looking at your brand new Ducati all dented and scraped up will be gut wrenching. I recommend you get a used 250 Ninja or EX500 to get some seat experience first. Also take a MSF course at your local community college or contact the MSF for course locations. This one action could save your life. 

Offline 3929R

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,November 12, 2015, 10:28:01 AM »
 :I-agree:
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,November 12, 2015, 07:12:10 PM »
Well I took the E46 m3 for a ride today. I have to admit that though the car I drove was not a perfect example, it wasn't really what I expected. I guess after being in a lotus anything feels bulky... It was not exactly what I would call exciting. It was nice and zippy, but nothing I would get in a frenzy about. I am going to look at another one this weekend and see if it was just a fluke. I need to hurry up and finish the lotus.....

There was a minor undisclosed issue with the car in question (in addition to unmentioned deferred maintenance). The fellow selling it neglected to mention that turning the steering wheel caused the cabin to come alive with what sounded like the squeal of a pig getting sodomized by a truck driver. This may or may not have influenced my opinion of the car. I only had to drive 300 miles to find that out!  :WTF:

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,November 12, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
I don't know, Chuck. It sounds like an OK car (OK at everything but not great at anything), but you have to make sure there are no pigs or truckers!  ;D

Offline 4129R

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,November 12, 2015, 10:13:41 PM »
A loose power steering belt slipping, or low fluid level for the power steering makes strange noises.

As I have never tried such activities with a pig, I cannot connect the two, but I take your word on the likeness.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #14 on: Friday,November 13, 2015, 05:48:52 AM »
I have driven around this great nation and refueled at my fair share of truck stops. One such stop at a Pennsylvania gas station left me with permanent night terrors. I had never heard hellish sounds like that come out of a bathroom stall....never....