Author Topic: FS 1970 S2 project in Mew Mexico  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

FS 1970 S2 project in Mew Mexico
« on: Wednesday,November 04, 2015, 06:54:25 AM »
Another Europa owner forwarded me this Craigs List ad. From the few pictures shown, looks like a very decent project. If only I didn't have my money allocated to other projects.

http://santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5291561588.html

Offline rscott2863

Re: FS 1970 S2 project in Mew Mexico
« Reply #1 on: Friday,November 20, 2015, 02:39:44 PM »
I'm new to the site. I've currently got a 1974 MGB GT that's a running project. I've always been interested in Europas.

I saw this car in my weekly trolling of the New Mexico Craigslist. I'm in Albuquerque.

Any idea how much it'd cost to get this car roadworthy? If I got it, I'd only be interested in making it a driver.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Scott

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Friday,November 20, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »
Judging from the engine and all the braided hose, he probably knew what he was doing. The cosmic wheels are a nice touch. The wiring would give me pause (I considered rewiring my car but chickened out - it really didn't need it anyway). I'm not sure what he means by "Banks Spyder Frame". Banks makes his own frames and Spyder makes their own. They're both good, but they're different. I don't know what windshields go for. That might be the biggest single expense for a part. There aren't a lot of details but I'd go out on a limb and say that for just a driver, if he's telling the truth, it would be more work (a lot of that for wiring) than money. You'll probably spend money on fuse boxes, wiring connectors, hardware, etc., the windshield and associated bits. You may need the headlight parts (same as the MG), but seems mostly there. I would guess it would be less than $3000 - but that is a wild guess. You shouldn't have any trouble with finding parts - the windshield might be an issue, but it may be easier than I expect.

It could be a really nice project! Let us know what you do!

:lotus:

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,November 21, 2015, 06:50:40 AM »
I agree with BDA on the cost and amount of work required to get the car running. This is assuming that the engine does not need any work. Search for "windshields" in the search link for sources of windshields. Expect to spend around $300-$400 plus $100-$200 for shipping.

The car comes with a Painless wiring harness. I'm assuming that all of the terminals and fuse box is included. It's a matter of custom wiring the car using the stock harness as a template. Going from memory, I  believe the harness can be removed and installed with the body on the frame. This looks like a super fun project.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,November 21, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »
Yes, the wiring can be done with body on frame. You really need to be a *master* of Lotus positions before starting though. I have a ez wiring harness on the shelf. Took it out of the box, unrolled it. Got scared, put it back in box. Wired in a 12 circuit box. When I finished, wish I had went ahead with the harness. would have been less of a headache in the long run.
I do like that frame!