Author Topic: New ish members car progress  (Read 916 times)

Offline S2Zetec54

Re: New ish members car progress
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,March 24, 2021, 12:52:19 PM »
 Great looking car...good luck with the remaining work...it will be well worth it

Offline RafM

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,March 24, 2021, 03:49:52 PM »
RafM - I couldn't agree more with all the comments made so far, so I won't repeat them.
Can you please tell me what your approach will be regarding the fitting of the windscreen and trim - where will you source these items from as I am presently looking for the same.

Hi Dilkris, I haven't made a final plan yet. The car will be pretty original spec but I'm not too precious about it and am considering painting the perimeter of the glass black before bonding it in place (a bit like modern cars) then adding a much flatter covering trim piece.  I've spoken to Richard Winters at Banks Europa and found that the original shape trim is no longer available, they have sourced a very similar shape and finish moulding and the corner trims can be supplied if needed. I'll post when I have decided on this.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,April 06, 2021, 08:59:38 AM »
car looks good. good luck with the work. I don't know what you mean about the doors, the fit looks better than standard already! Good you have spoken to Richard on the window fit. I found it easy to fit the screen (2 people needed), the manual tells you how to position it in the frame. The tricky bit is fitting the trim. Its quite delicate and needs to be very carefully shaped. only gentle heat and shaping. I did some warming and reshaping in the house before fitting it.

Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline RafM

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday,April 06, 2021, 10:21:22 AM »
car looks good. good luck with the work. I don't know what you mean about the doors, the fit looks better than standard already! Good you have spoken to Richard on the window fit. I found it easy to fit the screen (2 people needed), the manual tells you how to position it in the frame. The tricky bit is fitting the trim. Its quite delicate and needs to be very carefully shaped. only gentle heat and shaping. I did some warming and reshaping in the house before fitting it.

Thanks for the advise on the glass fitting. The doors are a pretty good fit now but were truly awful originally and took a lot of work to gap up. They are not perfect but better than most Europas. I have some videos which I'll put on YouTube and provide a link to sometime soon.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday,April 06, 2021, 01:09:13 PM »

[/quote]
The doors are a pretty good fit now but were truly awful originally and took a lot of work to gap up. They are not perfect but better than most Europas. I have some videos which I'll put on YouTube and provide a link to sometime soon.
[/quote]

PLEASE DO !!!  I will look forward to watching it as I have this hurdle also to cross in due course.