Author Topic: 0453R Rockledge Florida  (Read 14831 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: 0453R Rockledge Florida
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday,September 27, 2017, 06:07:00 AM »
 They were from Moss motors , spitfire suspension page.
I will keep the felt caution in mind during reassembly.
Dakazman

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #31 on: Wednesday,September 27, 2017, 07:04:13 AM »
If you ordered the bearing kit from Moss, as I recently did, the seals that are supplied are TR6 not Spitfire/Lotus bits.  The seals that Moss sells (separately) for the Spitfire are garbage anyway.  The OD of the steel retaining ring is way to big, I ran into the same issue about 10 years ago when I was selling parts.  It looks like Moss didn't want to listen to the issues.   I did pick up a pair of seals from Rimmer Brother when I was in Lincoln last month.  Their seals are better, as they do fit the hub, but they only have about a half thou interference fit. 

Offline dakazman

« Reply #32 on: Monday,April 29, 2019, 05:22:36 PM »
Working on hanging parts on the frame again, digging out parts that have been bagged for some time.
It feels good, a little bit like Christmas. Working on hub bearings and proper orientation on the felt washer . Felt mounted inward, so that the washer pressure against the bearing race keeps it sealed.
The fit from moss motors seems perfect, maybe they listened.
 Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #33 on: Monday,April 29, 2019, 05:28:25 PM »
All right, D'man!!! Putting parts on the frame is a great feeling after having them bagged up for so long! Congratulations!!! Keep us posted!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #34 on: Monday,April 29, 2019, 05:41:21 PM »
The felt is too thick.  It will prevent the bearing from seating home.

Simple test.  Mount the hub without the felt and see where the retaining nut goes to.  Now fit the felt.  It should go just as far with no added friction.

Once they felt is sized correctly, remember to impregnate it with grease.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #35 on: Monday,April 29, 2019, 06:45:44 PM »
JB is correct (as usual). Cut the felt in half with a razor blade.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #36 on: Monday,April 29, 2019, 07:16:19 PM »
Thanks guys,
That’s exactly what I was thinking about doing . I’m glad you all posted the correct course of action so  fast. 
  I feel that I’m running in 10 directions at once and adding small items to the shopping list, research list and general placement of items that the body holes were repaired. Example, the gas pedal bracket
However I can see the appropriate from the underside unpainted glass. I found 3 of 4 of the windshield ,aluminum or stainless corner trim,  so I’ll fabricate that.
  Lastly, getting the engine builds going.

Oh , and almost finished painting house for the first time in 25 years. The color was in the stucco.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday,April 30, 2019, 06:33:30 PM »
Opened the kit for the left side and started laughing.. I think Moss needs some quality control.
See pic.
 Cut felt as instructed! Tested as per JB and like certified said, JB is correct. I needed to swap out the brake caliper mount brackets and dust shield the were on the wrong side and inside out.

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

Re: 0453R Rockledge Floridap
« Reply #38 on: Friday,May 03, 2019, 05:05:24 PM »
I decided to go with the spitfire small cap brake cylinder and proportion valve. Order the cylinder from moss.
 I had a wasted day working on the shifter, I built two shin plates to glide inside the housing, having an extremely worn out plate. It worked better than the plastic ball. My second plan will be a floating axis bearings mounted inside the mounting plates much like the dave bean mod. Missed the final pics but you’ll get it.
  Another fact that I omitted was that my build had a 5” booster that I found a nice size hole caused by rust.
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Friday,May 03, 2019, 05:41:59 PM by dakazman »

Offline BDA

« Reply #39 on: Friday,May 03, 2019, 06:28:05 PM »
Could you use the TC spherical bearing and mount? I think r.d. sells all those parts.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #40 on: Friday,May 03, 2019, 06:39:31 PM »
Spitfires don't use a proportioning valve.  The valve on a Spitfire/TR6/MGB is a pressure differential valve and all it does is trigger a switch if one brake circuit fails.  Trust me, you don't need a light to tell you one half of the brake system is gone.  Your brake pedal will tell you that.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #41 on: Friday,May 03, 2019, 08:31:05 PM »
I’ve only driven a couple of Europa’s (including my own) for a short period of time. The shifting experience in each was amazingly poor. Almost as if the shift rod wasn’t connected to the transaxle. Everything I have read and heard about says one thing. It’s a design that is difficult to make work effectively even when all the parts are new. ANY worn parts only make the shifter gear location worse. I took the advise and bought all new parts (except for the two large shift tubes) for the shift mechanism from the shifter rod to the transaxle gear selector rod.

RD’s plate with spherical bearing that the shift rod sits in is well designed as is the balance of the restoration parts. I would bite the bullet and spend some $$$ here.

If I didn’t have a 352 transaxle I would have installed the cable shift modification. Unfortunately I could not identify an appropriate mod for the 352.

As JB indicated, I removed the pressure differential valve completely (as well as the brake boosters). I don’t need an idiot light to tell me the brakes are wearing. Removing the valve eliminates a number of brake lines you no longer need.  Colin would approve adding lightness.
« Last Edit: Friday,May 03, 2019, 08:35:17 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #42 on: Saturday,May 04, 2019, 10:47:31 AM »
Again Thanks for all the information 😀👍 Going to bite the bullet again.!
  It looks like the brake booster that came in a basket of parts inside the car when I purchased it don’t belong to this car. Studs to long for bracket.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #43 on: Saturday,May 04, 2019, 11:29:58 AM »
I am not the S2 guy but I don't think I've ever seen a brake booster fitted to the M/C on a Europa. A quick look at the S2 parts manual shows a remote mounted booster (mounted in the engine compartment?). There were S2s with and without brake boosters. I wonder if yours was one without and the PO was attempting to upgrade to boosters...

As I say, I'm not the S2 guy but until one comes along and confirms my thoughts or your parts, you might look to see if you also have the parts listed in S2 manual (http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/s2parts/j/index.htm).

Offline dakazman

« Reply #44 on: Saturday,May 04, 2019, 11:57:49 AM »
Thanks BDA, even when you look At the manual my MC bracket doesn’t have the vertical mount holes.
I even tried to retrieve the part number off the data plate to see what effectivity it has to no avail.
   There was also a huge hole cut-out in the fiberglass! That was repaired but I thought is was how he removed it from the car. The linkage bracket is just held on right now with one bolt so I’ll keep you posted.
Dakazman