Author Topic: '72 Europa TC project for sale  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Pete Gossett

'72 Europa TC project for sale
« on: Sunday,July 21, 2013, 08:46:54 AM »
I'm afraid it's time for me to move this project on down the road. I've really enjoyed tinkering with it, and learning all about Europas, but I'm at a point where it's more in the way than anything else.

I have a full build-thread and pictures documented on Grassroots Motorsports here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/basket-case-europas/53366/page1/

The car is basically the same as when I bought it, however I did pull some parts off the '73 parts-car(now sold) to keep for the '72 since they were in better condition. The car hasn't been started for 20-years or so, but was kept in a garage the whole time. The front frame box is rusted out, but I have a brand new frame, with rear braces and coolant tubes, which is included. The windshield in the car is broken, and I also kept the broken windshield from the '72 to use as a form for a lexan windshield, but I ended up buying a brand new windshield which is still in the original shipping crate and is also included.

Both seats are nearly perfect, I have two straight bumpers with decent chrome, a brand new walnut dash, and a couple boxes of nuts/bolts/parts.

I also have a 352 transmission with shift linkage to swap in behind a Zetec(see below). The car presently has a 336, but the new frame has a 352 mount on the rear. I kept the flywheel and clutch from the '73 in case they were needed for the swap.

Then there's the Zetec... What I originally intended to be a pretty stock swap quickly grew out of hand! I have a 2000 Zetec pulled from a running but wrecked Focus with 160kmi on it. Not content to leave well enough alone, I picked up a brand new ported & polished head with titanium springs & the whole works. So of course, that meant I needed new cams. But then, the stock Zetec intake would never do, so I found a Weber/ITB manifold, and a set of GSXR750 throttle bodies, and mounted them up with velocity stacks and boots. I found a full Megasquirt/spark system - including the wiring harness - from a running Zetec(so it already has a baseline map to make it run!). Of course, I had to pick up a nice BRG powdercoated aluminum valve cover and polished aluminum oil cap to give it a vintage look. I have the block cleaned and painted with POR-15 engine paint, with a new gasket and timing belt kit, awaiting reassembly. It will be a 200hp + engine once built and tuned.

All I want to get is enough to recoup my costs. I'm pricing it both with and without the Zetec, to give the buyer the option: $3500 for the Europa and all parts, including the brand new frame(and related pieces), brand new windshield, and the 352 trans with linkage. $5750 including the Zetec with all the new and original parts. Or feel free to hit me up with any trade offers?

The car is located in east-central IL, about 120mi from Chicago and 90mi from Indy. I do have a trailer and would be willing to deliver within a reasonable distance for expenses.
« Last Edit: Sunday,July 21, 2013, 04:49:15 PM by LotusJoe »

Offline Pete Gossett

Re: '72 Europa TC project for sale
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,July 25, 2013, 07:12:33 AM »
No one interested in making an offer?

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,July 25, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
Pete,
If you weren't so far away I would consider your project. Have you thought about parting it out? There was a guy on eBay who recently parted out a Twin Cam Special over the course of a couple of weeks. He got over $10,000. A lot more work, but it did pay off for him.  :confused: 
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline cal44

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,July 25, 2013, 07:23:20 PM »
Hate to see you go Pete.  Yep, wish you were closer.  I'd do some dealin' with ya.
I think Joe is right, the parts may be the way to go if you have the time.
Also don't forget the Lotus Club in or near Chicago.  Lotus Corps
http://www.lotuscorps.org/index.php

mike
« Last Edit: Thursday,July 25, 2013, 07:25:41 PM by cal44 »
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Pete Gossett

« Reply #4 on: Friday,July 26, 2013, 04:31:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I'm sure there is more money to be made parting it out. Unfortunately, if I had the time to part it out, I'd just continue working on it.  ;) It's not that I don't want the car(I certainly hope to find another someday) I just desperately need the garage space. Otherwise, I don't really mind the fact that this is a long-term project - that was to be expected.

Offline DaveG

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,August 15, 2013, 04:48:10 PM »
Is the car still for sale? I would like to buy it off you.

Offline cal44

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,August 20, 2013, 05:25:24 AM »
Dave,

Try sending Pete a PM.  I'm not sure how often he checks in.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines