Author Topic: ORIGINAL 1974 TCS 5 speed  (Read 1527 times)

Offline ottocycle

ORIGINAL 1974 TCS 5 speed
« on: Wednesday,June 24, 2015, 04:05:27 PM »
THEY ARE ORIGINAL ONLY ONCE.

Original unrestored car. Approx. 26,500 miles (I drive it some weekends so this number will change). Garage kept, interior/exterior in very good condition. Original floor mats replaced, by previous owner, with cocoa mats.

This is the history as told to me by the previous owner:
"Car was originally owned by Eastern Airlines pilot in New York City. He and another pilot owned twin cars. The other pilot crashed his car, this pilot sold his to a man in New London, Connecticut. He had his car for 4 years (I think). I purchased it from him in 1979. In 1990 I replaced all the hoses andalternator belt and installed a new exhaust system. I drove it till 1995. It has been stored in my garage ever since. It is in running condition, I start it several times a year.
....This car is pretty much in original condition- no major work done to it- it has never been crashed.
All lights, turn signals, gauges, heater blower and windshield wipers work. The radio is a Sanyo AM?FM with cassette: Pioneer speakers.
...There is a small fogging in the windshield in the drivers upper corner-it's like between the laminates--- it's been there since I bought the car and it hasn't gotten any bigger."

I bought the car 2 years ago and recommissioned it after it "sleeping"for so long. This included replacing the front brake calipers, bypassing the brake boosters and replacing the master cylinder. I flushed the fuel system and rebuilt the Strombergs. I gave her a good tune up and installed a Petronix electronic ignition system. The tires had plenty of tread but were a little flat spotted and I replaced them. I got them balanced on the car. The spare is as I found it and looks like it was never on the car. I have the jack and handbook (it still has unused service vouchers in it). I have the original wheel center caps, the previous owner had them in a bag and I did not put them on the car.

She drives great. The gear change was sloppy when I got her and I re-bushed and adjusted it. She shifts fine now. The paint has blemishes and crazing in a few places but I would not want to repaint her. I am no expert but I do not think factory paint was on a par with Bentleys. The tach does not work, I do not know why and have not tried to fix it yet.
My wife hates the passenger seat, but the car is too nice to modify. It is hard to value this car but I know I will never find another one like it. There are better restored cars out there but an original car in this condition is as rare as you think it is. I think $25,000 is fair.

I tried to post a few photos but they would not stick, see link below.
See photos here:  https://lotuseuropa.shutterfly.com/#%3aemid%3dsite_sendcontentfolder%26cid%3dSHARE3SXXXX

PM me with questions.
I can deliver the car to the Port of Baltimore for European/Worldwide shipping at the buyers expense.

Thank you.

Online BDA

Re: ORIGINAL 1974 TCS 5 speed
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,June 24, 2015, 04:34:08 PM »
Very pretty car! It is REALLY original as it even includes the cross-over pipes that most (including the Lotus distributor when they sold my car to me) take off. I Hope it is not original enough to still have the plastic 'T' between the two carbs as that is a fire hazard.

Good luck with the sale! Please let us know how it goes and if possible what you got for it.