Author Topic: NG3 shifting question  (Read 996 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

NG3 shifting question
« on: Wednesday,August 16, 2017, 08:26:46 AM »
I'm probably getting ahead of myself on this question but I had my NG3 transaxle out and started looking and playing with the shift mechanism. I'm not too clear as to how the NG3 shifts. I see two operating mechanisms, one on the side and the second on the rear (see pics). The side operating shaft moves one position fore and aft from "neutral". The rear operating mechanism moves the side mechanism in or out depending whether the rear mechanism is pressed down or up.

Can someone explain how the NG3 shifts? Also I would think that a cable shifter would be the easiest method in terms of fabrication of shifting the NG3.

Offline BDA

Re: NG3 shifting question
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,August 16, 2017, 09:20:47 AM »
I believe there are two ways to work out the shifting. I think the cable shifter methods employ the "axial" shaft you point to. I never paid a lot of attention to it beyond curiosity since my NG3 was already installed in my car. The other method is what Richard does to the NG3s that he sells. There is an article that describes how to effect that method. http://www.greytower.com/jon/lotus/europa/gearbox/gearbox.html

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,August 16, 2017, 11:21:28 AM »
Dave's write up of his conversion is in the files on the yahoo group. the link is to his youtube video showing the shifter in operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhZVZCJi_No&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I will end up not using the shifter cable for the rear shaft on my conversion. I'll need to purchase a shorter one as my transaxle is the side shift only version.  Let me know if you should need one.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,August 16, 2017, 11:24:58 AM by andy harwood »

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,August 17, 2017, 07:01:11 AM »
Thanks for links for both the article and the video, very helpful in understanding how the NG3 shifting works.

Stuleslie

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,August 17, 2017, 09:04:22 AM »
Have you read the NG manual in the knowledgebase/documents?
www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/misc/NG.pdf.
I found it very useful.
I read the article in greytower.com and I am very pleased Richard at Banks supplied me with a completly converted unit. I did not realise there was so much work involved.
Hope you are successful.
Stu

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #5 on: Friday,August 18, 2017, 10:28:03 AM »
Hey Stu, thanks for the encouragement. I skimmed through parts of the NG3 manual trying to figure out how to tell NG3 variants apart. I'll refer to it when I actually start working on the NG3 transplant. I'm not ready to split the cases just yet having only a theoretical knowledge of how transmissions and differentials work. To fill the hole in my personal knowledge base, I'm signed up for a class on manual transmissions and FWD drivelines at my local community college which starts on Monday for the fall semester. Maybe after I complete the class, I'll have the confidence to work on the internals of the NG3. We shall see how this goes.