Author Topic: Fireproof  (Read 314 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Fireproof
« on: Sunday,December 30, 2018, 11:47:57 AM »
After a career of inventing things, I can’t stop looking for new ideas.  The internet is constantly supplying me with the latest and greatest creations and I only have to apply them to my own situation to keep my life interesting.  This video seems to be a no-brainer for Europa owners.

It may even spur others to experiment on their own, like what I’m about to do with the space between my exhaust header and the Weber side draft mounted inches away from it.

Enjoy:
Bruce

https://youtu.be/aqR4_UoBIzY

Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline BDA

Re: Fireproof
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,December 30, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »
The mechanical properties of that stuff would be interesting. It seems like some form of retention, such as a screen, might be necessary to hold it on a horizontal surface. Maybe a replacement for the white glue could give better mechanical properties with no loss of insulation.

That video reminds me of a demonstration NASA used to do with the ceramic tile material they glued to the Space Shuttle. The demonstrator held a tile in one hand and heated the other side with a propane torch. After a minute or two, he put the torch down and put his other hand onto th side of the tile he heated. They talked about applications such as home insulation but they never seem to have happened.

I'd love to see what you come up with!