Lotus Europa Forums > Resources, Parts and Products

Balancing Dellortos & Webers

<< < (2/3) > >>

EuropaTC:

--- Quote from: 3929R on Tuesday,October 16, 2012, 08:14:34 AM ---Is yours an easier to use alternative to this type of balancer?

--- End quote ---

I can't honestly say because I've not used (or seen) that type of instrument before.  I assume you get a reading on the tube comparable with the air flow/vacuum created in the carb inlet and hold it in place while you take readings ? 

If so, then the principle is the same as my previous manometer set-up which gives a floating pointer in the orange manometer tube in the last photo I posted. Nothing at all wrong with that approach and in truth I've used it myself for a long while.   The manometer is graduated and so you can get a numerical reading to compare chokes, and that's what I have done before.

The advantage I found with this is that it's not reliant on me holding it in position to make a seal, it just pushes into place.  I think that's why it was so steady in operation and that made it easier to take readings.

There wasn't a lot of difference when tested with this new gizmo, one carb was 3kg/h and the other just over 4kg/h. When I'd set it up before I'd aimed for identical manometer readings and so the differences can only be down to me not making an identical/efficient seal on all the chokes because the tubing/manometer is the same for all.

I guess my main gain from this gizmo has been that it makes a DIY mechanic look better by removing the operator-induced error !   :)

Brian

3929R:
Thanks for the explanation.  I inherited an old balancing tool that I think looks like the one in my post but I've yet to use it.  Balancing my carbs is still on the to do list.

Bainford:

--- Quote from: 3929R on Tuesday,October 16, 2012, 08:14:34 AM ---Is yours an easier to use alternative to this type of balancer?

--- End quote ---
This Uni-Syn tool is one of the types that I have. I'll try to remember to take a picture of the other type if anyone is interested. I haven't tried either one yet, but I'll be giving them a try this spring when I install my new carbs.

Bainford:
As promised, here are a few pics of the Synchrometer carb balancing tool.

It's a bit difficult to see when placed in position on the carb, but with decent lighting it is easily read. Better perhaps than the photo suggests. I didn't realise it at the time, but these devices can be bought in calibrated pairs so that both can be fitted to the carbs at the same time for real time comparisons. I bought mine at JC Whitney.

EuropaTC:
Now that looks a nice bit of kit. 

In fact I 'd guess that it's and earlier (read better engineered) version of the one I showed. Looking at the instruction sheets with the optional adapters and the name "synchronometer", they look very similar to the sheets that came with mine. They have the same name for the tool, similar adapters and the only difference seems to be that mine show more modern carburetors.  (no SU type)

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version