Lotus Europa Forums > Resources, Parts and Products

Balancing Dellortos & Webers

<< < (3/3)

StrawberryCheesecake:
I've used one of those 'snail' type synchrometers on my 914-6 conversion on triple choke IDAs. Made the job a lot easier, and well worth the money you save compared to paying someone else to balance your carbs. I found that if the idle is uneven to start with, it's better to go round the chokes at least twice - once to get them roughly in the same place, but the engine speed will change as you adjust. 2nd time is fine tuning, helped by the smoother idle to start with.

jbcollier:
The cheap and readily available Uni-Syns are overly restrictive and affect the engine's running while being used.  They briefly give an accurate reading and then the engine filters and the reading falls.  I have one and it is very useful for holding your repair manual open to the right page.

I have found the Synchrometer to be the best when syncing Webers and Dells.  It has a dampened movement and has no effect on the engine's running.  It takes just a moment or two for the reading to fully stabilize.

I use an undampened, vintage air flow type for syncing SUs and Strombergs.  Again it doesn't affect the engine and gives instantaneous readings.  This works well in the typical Strom/SU set up with two/three cylinders per carb and a balance tube.  It doesn't work well with one-port:one-carb set-ups as the pulsing reading is difficult to decipher.

Multi-carb set-ups with difficult access and/or individual cable actuation, have me using a set of matching, dampened vacuum gauges designed for motorcycles.  Cheap ones are nasty but the good ones are well worth the expense making syncing carbs without a solid linkage easy.

4129R:
Just bought one on eBay for under £37.00 including postage.

Ticking over at 2000+ RPM when hot is not good.

I timed the engine using a strobe and that cured the backfiring. I just hope this can make the engine run smoothly.

A completely new top end was very expensive, new cylinder head, valves, cams, and 40DCOEs so the fine tuning is needed to make the investment worthwhile.

EuropaTC:

--- Quote from: 4129R on Saturday,January 23, 2016, 01:01:01 AM ---A completely new top end was very expensive, new cylinder head, valves, cams, and 40DCOEs so the fine tuning is needed to make the investment worthwhile.

--- End quote ---

Ouch !  with that sort of expenditure you deserve a bargain....    £3 cheaper than in my post !

If it's of any interest, I wrote that first post a long while ago and during that initial spell with the tool I set up both the Elan & Europa (Weber & Dellorto). Both have pertronix ignition so that aspect is reasonable stable but the good news is that I haven't touched either car since and both still idle at ridiculously low speeds cold (no choke) and around 900 when hot.  I'm pretty much convinced it was the accuracy of the gizmo rather than my imaginary mechanical genius that got the carbs right.

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version