Author Topic: NG3 Bellhousing  (Read 4578 times)

Offline Skywalker

NG3 Bellhousing
« on: Tuesday,May 21, 2013, 12:48:03 PM »
Hi All,
I have been a Lotus junkie for years, starting with an S2 Elite in the sixties and then a new Europa S2 in 1971 when serving with the RAF in Cyprus, we drove it back across Europe but sold it after 25,000 miles as it didn't really fit in with house calls and a three year old!  Many years passed but the need for a third car caused me to think again about a classic and another yellow S2 came along.  Cyril (CYR480H) looked superficially OK but I've ended up redoing the interior, the facia and the radiator over the last ten years with very little mileage.  I have now obtained a 5 speed NG3 but the bellhousing doesn't fit my 821 engine - anyone know the Renault part number or the models (apart from 1600 Fuego) that will  fit the two together?
 Look forward to the correspondence and general info trading,
Skywalker 

Offline cal44

Re: NG3 Bellhousing
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 21, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »

Join Lotus Groups on Yahoo as well.   There are pretty savvy boys over there when it comes to Renault engines and the like.  Pay big attention to Steve Veris on the group.
I wish I had something for you.  I gots nuttin'

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,May 22, 2013, 05:34:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I don't have any info for you either, but I can assure you that we are all anxious to hear about your project, or any info on this topic you may dig up. Cheers, and good luck.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline loveydovey666

« Reply #3 on: Friday,November 08, 2013, 09:55:48 AM »
hi there

i owned this car in 1978 to 1982. When i owned the car it was red in colour and i have many photos of the car. i also have the insurance documents showing that at the time it was £30.00 a year. I also had a new aluminium fuel tank built for the car.

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #4 on: Friday,November 08, 2013, 06:12:39 PM »
Maybe the Lotus Europa Central could help you, as well. At least there is a workshop manual of the Renault gearboxes available.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Friday,November 08, 2013, 11:08:42 PM »
Hi and  :Welcome:

I'm sorry I can't help with the conversion although as has already been posted, it seems to be a very popular one with the Yahoo list.  If you're not already registered then I'd sign up and navigate to the "Files" section because there's a few case histories there which might help.

Also the Europa documentation site is the best single collection of Renault info pertinent to our cars that I know of;

http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm

The NG3 conversion is something that's been in and out of my mind for a long time but because it's not a simple nut and bolt job, it's always stayed as a "maybe someday..." thing. I'm interested in how you go about it so once you get started don't forget to post a thread for us fence-sitters  ;)

Brian

Offline s24a

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,November 17, 2013, 12:59:22 PM »
Skywalker...

Look araound and see if you can find a bellhousing for a 352 or 395 transaxle.
These are found in R15, R17s and R18 Renaults.

I assume you have an NG trans from a 2.0 or 2.2L vehicle, which is why that will not fit.

But any of the above vehicles with an 807, 821, 841 or 843 engine in it should have a bellhousing that will fit.

One detail item, however.  If your input shaft is the "short" style (no pilot on the end before the splining begins), you will have to either get an earlier transmission input shaft as your *new* bellhousing will not have the ball bearing support in the ballhousing.  Or you can transfer the input shaft from your 336 to the NG trans.
 That is as simple as knocking out the roll pins and swapping over the input to the NG.

This will mean opening the case halves up, so be sure to reset the differential backlash when you close it back up.

Offline Skywalker

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,February 16, 2016, 05:27:49 AM »
Don't know if this message will get any further as I lost touch with the community over the last couple of years - rebuilding the flat we downsized to, getting my aeroplane flying, health issues etc etc!

However I have finally got back to the job in hand and have traced the correct bell housing and bought one in France - it has been quite difficult but I may be able to add some details of the conversion as I progress.  It will probably require the Banks twin link suspension and their shift linkage kit fitted but I will have to talk to Richard to see whether it is something I can do myself or if it would be financially viable to have them fit it.

Everyone I have spoken to with the 5 speed find it a major improvement and I remember well finding motorway cruising rather uncomfortable with my original Europa in the early seventies, so i think it is worth the effort, particularly now that Europa prices are rising.

Thanks to all those who responded and I hope I can still get in touch with the previous owner, who, like me, seems to have dropped off the forum of late!

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,February 16, 2016, 06:18:41 AM »
I'm glad you finally got your bell housing after all these years! You might want to consult this page (http://www.greytower.com/jon/lotus/europa/gearbox/gearbox.html) as you may need to do some mods to the bell housing.

I'm not sure why you'd need Richard's twin link rear suspension. I would think that the stock half shafts would mate up to the output shafts, of course, Richard's kit is a nice setup and takes a lot of loads off the gear box and half shafts. His shift kit is something you'll probably need. Something I found out late is that the bend end link (that attaches to the gear box shift shaft) determines the width of your shift pattern at the gear lever. The shallower the bend the wider the shift pattern. Mine is bent a bit too far and the pattern is very narrow. I've gotten used to it, but one day I might straighten it out a little.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,February 16, 2016, 07:29:13 AM »
The NG transaxles don't have stressed shafts and can't take the suspension loads of the stock Europa.  The output shafts are also in a different location.  All in all you'll need a twin- link kit.

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,February 16, 2016, 07:36:34 AM »
Good to know, John. Thanks for the clarification. Now I'm extra glad I got mine!  :)