Author Topic: It's a crapshoot...Vendor issues  (Read 6017 times)

Offline BDA

Re: It's a crapshoot...Vendor issues
« Reply #15 on: Sunday,July 02, 2017, 08:16:09 PM »
Certified, you may already know but if you're not sure, Richard doesn't do email - only phone. I can understand your not being able to deal with him given that restriction but Richard probably knows more about Europas than anybody else on the planet. He is a very friendly and very helpful helpful resource. I also agree with your comments about Ray and Ken. They have both been very helpful to me. We're lucky to have them.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #16 on: Monday,July 03, 2017, 03:21:13 AM »
Thanks BDA. Yes I found out that Richard doesn't email after I sent him several and got no response. When I posted the question on this site was informed I need to call. Which I did twice and still never spoke with him. I do hear he is "the man"  in Europa world, but I just don't have the time to work around his availability. It's my issue, not his. Hopefully one day I will get to chat with him.

In the mean time, I've gotten all my parts from others without delay. Especially from Ray at RD and all via email (which I can send from 30,000 ft in the air).

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Monday,July 03, 2017, 07:14:00 AM »
In the mean time, I've gotten all my parts from others without delay. Especially from Ray at RD and all via email (which I can send from 30,000 ft in the air).

Now that's handy!

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #18 on: Monday,July 03, 2017, 08:47:59 AM »
Without Banks and Ray we would be in real trouble. I don't consider their prices unreasonable and they're both good about returning parts like windscreen gaskets that didn't work for my S1. I do see a need for recast rear hub carriers if someone could do a group buy.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #19 on: Monday,July 03, 2017, 02:41:08 PM »
The thought to keep in mind is that the US venders have to supply parts for all of the other vintage Lotus models, not just the Europas. I have to wonder in amazement at the amount of inventory that they have to carry at one time and the knowledge that Ray at RDE, Ken &Tom at DBE and Jay at JAE have to know what parts fit for all of the different models.

I'm finding out first hand that reproducing parts for a small run is not cheap. If you're choking at the thought of paying $69 for the head light knob, try having them reproduced yourself. What I'm trying to get to is that these guys are doing all of the legwork getting parts reproduced for our benefit. I don't mind paying the price for their ROI.

By the way, I noticed that Ray has a set of reproduction coolant pipes for both the S2 and TC on his website for what I consider a reasonable price. Now that is what I call service.

Offline FranV8

« Reply #20 on: Monday,July 03, 2017, 02:58:07 PM »
Vote for Richard from me, I've found him helpful and an interesting chap.  We have to accept he is a small business (and not just parts, but manufacture of and also car work) - I find it best to work around when he has time.  Not easy for us to adjust to this in today's online 24/7 world, but if it helps we're not even dealing with vehicles from the online era.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday,July 05, 2017, 01:56:53 AM »
Another vote for Richard and Banks here. Would be really stuffed without his business. I certainly can understand the frustrations in dealing with his business . Being basically a one man band nearing retirement and I guess he would retire if he could afford to! So no new developments or upgrades etc. and fitment of some things is not the best. He certainly is a fountain of knowledge on the Europa. And only supporting the Europa has it's own limitations as only 9,000 were made over 40 years ago!
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline dakazman

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday,August 16, 2017, 03:56:01 PM »
 I'm for banks and r&d also . I pay a lot to ecklers for corvette  an El Camino parts.
I have a 2000 Hyundai Tiberon and parts for that are discontinued and gouged if available.
Example 4 inch air cleaner tube 75.00 USD. Ecklers corvette parts also expensive but still made for a
37 year old car. I owned a Lexus and a headlight adjuster was 350.00 Usd . Don't get me started on dealer prices for a fuel level sensor for the Vette 4,000.00 ... really . What I'm trying to say is We have
a choice to say yes or no. I thank all vendors for making are choices available to us. I also remember when we didn't have the internet to search the World... see picture of life before most of us had a computer, waiting for the mail for this months sales...! So just be glad you can call someone an at least ask a vendor if they have it.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday,August 16, 2017, 05:56:31 PM »
That Sports Car World stuff is really a blast from the past!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,September 09, 2017, 04:18:46 AM »
Yep , remember those days !!!
Old timer
Dakazman