Author Topic: Introduction from Townsville Australia  (Read 8256 times)

Offline cal44

Re: Introduction from Townsville Australia
« Reply #15 on: Friday,November 29, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »
Murray,

that car is so nice looking..............I feel the want gene starting to rear it's head.  There better be all weather cover for that car.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Murray210

« Reply #16 on: Friday,November 29, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »
Good on you Mike, the old want gene, always a problem.

There is an almost finished (3 year resto) Genuine Meyers Manx in the shed in front of the Lotus.
Once I have the Manx finished, they will swap places and I have an all weather cover for the Manx

Offline StephenH

« Reply #17 on: Saturday,November 30, 2013, 12:40:09 AM »
My visit to Sydney was much shorter, only about 1 hr as the flight from Manila was late in.
I only talked to Richard on the phone as I was in the Philippines, not UK.
we probably talked longer about our 'other' cars, both having Smart Roadsters and being fans :)
Shopping was via the virtual world of internet based commerce, it is the package deliveries that are driving Carol nuts.
So I ordered a dozen bottle of wine for delivery......

Hope this helps.
In my car it is a Ducellier unit marked R243D59.
During my internet shopping I did see a french company offering these in a fully programmable version as well.
Running at 10deg static and 30deg total advance (mine is pointless, with an electronic breaker module, don't know if that is normal).
I have had a couple of people tell me that these engines can tolerate a lot of advance, one long term owner telling me he winds on advance until the car won't crank over, then backs off a couple of degrees.

Cam in mine has less lift but much wider opening (324deg) and overlap.
Lift 0.250” run at 0.020 clearance hot.
Inlet Opens 58 BTDC
Inlet Closes 86 ABDC
Exhaust Opens 86 BBDC
Exhaust closes 58 ATDC

Also twin 45 side draft Webers.
Chokes 34 (taper 34-35)
Venturi 45 (8.5mm centre)
Idle 50F8
Emulsion F16
Air 195
Main 120
Acel/Pump 40

These carb settings are I think pretty close to what the 1600 Gordini engines run in Alpines.
Engine does also have hi-comp pistons and had around 200psi cylinder pressure when tested.

If I get around to it I am looking at moving the fuel filler on mine (single tank only fitted on left side) to the side as I don't like fueling with hot exhausts so close and ready to accept lovely petrol.
« Last Edit: Saturday,November 30, 2013, 01:05:14 AM by StephenH »
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #18 on: Saturday,November 30, 2013, 01:24:04 AM »
 :huh:    Wow, I love that beach buggy.   :) :) :) :) :) :)

They were popular over here as well but I was too young/too poor/too silly to drive a car in those days and it was one of those teenage "I really must get...." things every time I saw one. These days they are a rare sight, and when you do find them they're usually silly money. You guys have the right climate for one and that car looks absolutely stunning.

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #19 on: Saturday,November 30, 2013, 04:57:50 AM »
Murry,
I should respond in off topic to the Manx but I can't help myself.....and you might not see it.  According to "the net" Bruce Meyers lives up the road in Valley Center.  Always wanted to meet him.

I don't know how many companies copied Bruce's Manx but it was a bunch and it is quite common to see all versions of the famous buggy running around SoCal.  If you know Meyers' products you'll know what a Tow'd is.  I  have my eye peeled for one.

Looks as though one can eat off off that engine..........my kind of guy............

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Murray210

« Reply #20 on: Saturday,November 30, 2013, 12:43:32 PM »
My visit to Sydney was much shorter, only about 1 hr as the flight from Manila was late in.
I only talked to Richard on the phone as I was in the Philippines, not UK.
we probably talked longer about our 'other' cars, both having Smart Roadsters and being fans :)
Shopping was via the virtual world of internet based commerce, it is the package deliveries that are driving Carol nuts.
So I ordered a dozen bottle of wine for delivery......

Hope this helps.
In my car it is a Ducellier unit marked R243D59.
During my internet shopping I did see a french company offering these in a fully programmable version as well.
Running at 10deg static and 30deg total advance (mine is pointless, with an electronic breaker module, don't know if that is normal).
I have had a couple of people tell me that these engines can tolerate a lot of advance, one long term owner telling me he winds on advance until the car won't crank over, then backs off a couple of degrees.

Cam in mine has less lift but much wider opening (324deg) and overlap.
Lift 0.250” run at 0.020 clearance hot.
Inlet Opens 58 BTDC
Inlet Closes 86 ABDC
Exhaust Opens 86 BBDC
Exhaust closes 58 ATDC

Also twin 45 side draft Webers.
Chokes 34 (taper 34-35)
Venturi 45 (8.5mm centre)
Idle 50F8
Emulsion F16
Air 195
Main 120
Acel/Pump 40

These carb settings are I think pretty close to what the 1600 Gordini engines run in Alpines.
Engine does also have hi-comp pistons and had around 200psi cylinder pressure when tested.

If I get around to it I am looking at moving the fuel filler on mine (single tank only fitted on left side) to the side as I don't like fueling with hot exhausts so close and ready to accept lovely petrol.

Ha ha, package delivery of wine, brilliant. I have had a couple of parcels a week arrive for near on 3 years, car parts large and small, the lady that delivers parcels thinks I run a car parts business.

Thank you for the great detailed info on Dissy, Carb Jets etc. It gives me a great benchmark to work from. so I can see if I am close or wildly out.

I tried to time my dizzy yesterday, with a decent timing light with dial in advance as the timing seemed erratic. What an experience that turned out, I would have X amount of degrees at X RPM one minute, then it would move 5 to 10 degress either side of that. The dizzy has an Electronic points module, but the shaft bushes are worn out, the vac advance is not connected and the advance springs are missing, what a mess :(

I tried to search the Ducellier R243D59 on yahoo world wide and got zero results, interestingly the same search on Google provides endless pages of results and most have a translate option. So a real bonus!

I have not come across the programmable version yet unless you are talking about the 123 brand distributor (I have bought 2 of these in the past for other cars and had great results)

That is a pretty wild cam you have going there, it goes a long way to explain the firecracker of an exhaust note you have going on in the You-tube clips, id be pretty happy with that.

I hear what you are saying on the fuel filler, my S2 has twin tanks and I have filled them both about 4 times in the last 10 days (yes doing some serious mileage) It scares the pants of me, the filler necks are so close to the roof, I have to turn the bowser handle toward the rear of the car to get it in either side and then sweat about any splashes or backwash going down the boot vents onto hot extractors, I feel like I should have my fire extinguisher in one hand while I do it.

As a matter of interest, what sort of exhaust (a few pic) are you running? And more particular, brand and model of muffler.
I have some pretty decent extractors on mine, that by any account should flow nicely, I have a huge muffler, I will upload a pic later today. Its the sort of thing you might have on a truck. It does however provide a deep, yet not too loud note.
I am very interested in details of what muffler your running as I would like something a bit loader, but don't want to buy 3 or 4 until I achieve something worthwhile.
Again thank you for the help on these items Stephen it makes it so much easier to work out if things are close to what they should be or way off track..

Murray
« Last Edit: Saturday,November 30, 2013, 12:48:43 PM by Murray210 »

Offline Murray210

« Reply #21 on: Saturday,November 30, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »
Hi Mike,
we have a few Tow'ds in Aus, I know the one you mean :)

I have had a few old E-types in the past and loved the fact that the engines were designed to be as much a thing of beauty as any other part of the car, from lovely polished cast components to acorn nuts etc. Much as a decent motorcycle engine is also part of the visual attraction, I try to do similar (as best You can) with any engine I rebuild, especially if the thing is out in the open and constantly visible.

Offline StephenH

« Reply #22 on: Saturday,November 30, 2013, 03:07:33 PM »
As a matter of interest, what sort of exhaust (a few pic) are you running? And more particular, brand and model of muffler.

The exhaust and muffler came from Europa Engineering, I'll probably have the car out later today so will pop the spare wheel tray out and get some images.
I haven't seen the same exhaust on the website, but have the original purchase order in the car file.
Looks quite different from what is in your car.
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline Murray210

« Reply #23 on: Saturday,November 30, 2013, 04:42:24 PM »
Here are a few shots of my set up.

Offline StephenH

« Reply #24 on: Friday,December 06, 2013, 11:00:35 PM »
A bit slow to get to this but have to clean the mud out this weekend while the weather is friendly :)

The headers on mine are different in arrangement to yours but probably little difference in effectiveness, can't recall the diameter but they are not large.
The muffler is a fabricated stainless steel unit with a core about 350mm long and probably a 1-7/8" diameter, the outlet is about 2.5inch.

From these images you should get an idea and point of reference.

Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline Murray210

« Reply #25 on: Saturday,December 07, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »
Hi Stephen, that is very decent of you, thank you.
It gives me plenty to work from, you have such a great car, I was also noticing you have a few extra cool bits of bracing tube going from the side of the chassis to the rear gearbox mount tube.

I was fitting a Pipercross airbox  to mine yesterday and notice the steady rod going from the gearbox to the gear selector tube had a rose-joint at one end and a bolt arrangement on the gearbox that did not make sense at all, also the tube is bent, because it cannot move at the gearbox end when you change gears.  If you look at it via the exhaust pics I posted, then the ones you posted you will see what I mean.
Again Stephen, thank you for the pictures, it helped in more ways than one.
re
Murray

Offline Murray210

« Reply #26 on: Saturday,December 07, 2013, 01:58:25 PM »
Looking in the manual, what I have for a steady bar is "correct" What Stephen  has is better!

Offline StephenH

« Reply #27 on: Saturday,December 07, 2013, 10:41:05 PM »
Might stiffen the back of the chassis and triangulate the gearbox mount, but also acts as support for my spare wheel carrier.
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2