Lotus Europa Forums > Vendors Storefront

It's a crapshoot...Vendor issues

<< < (2/5) > >>

EuropaTC:
Hi Alex,

Yep, I agree with pretty much everything you've said there, it's only when you stop and think of the real-world market that you realise what you thought was expensive actually isn't. I remember breaking the inlet camshaft in the 80s and the number of phone calls I had to make to get another. At the time I just didn't care about price because without it the car (daily driver back then) was just an ornament.

I think as a group we could have a positive impact in the area of getting parts reproduced. We've seen guys have the rear carriers re-cast for example and it would make sense for a group buy on something which is currently unobtainable. Maybe co-ordinated through a dealer and them retaining a small stock level from the manufacture. Could be good all round because the dealer has stock for future without having to fund 100% of the manufacturing costs.

As an aside, 3-4yrs ago I had to replace the hazard switch on the wife's TT. Audi part, current production and still over £50 for the switch alone. I hate to think what one a Mk3 TT would be now !

Brian

Lou Drozdowski:
Brian & Alex... Firstly, thank you for the comments. I welcome your continued input going forward. I hope and know that we all understand that the goal is to improve the parts network. Communication and honesty is a cornerstone for any retail operator. When the phone rings and the part is not on the shelf...two things happen. It's a lost sale, and a demand is generated, If this is not tracked, everyone suffers.

Yes, I have participated in group purchases...windshields come to mind. There are tools some retailers use to review trends to monitor and improve supply...but we are dealing with a handful of specialty shops, with limited resources for future investment. I don't want to drive any of them away...just steer them closer.

The Yahoo group over the years has indeed opened the door in some areas, but as their web platform is outdated and cumbersome. It is very difficult to get a clear picture on improving supply.

Can we add a sub group to the parts page for example?...Something we can share with the vendors...and ourselves.

How many of us are currently in full time recovery projects ? Like Alex?...I dare to say there are fewer actual "runners" as opposed to vehicles off the road. I may be wrong, but again... participation in the members map should be better
than what I can see. I've wondered how many real cars are actually out there world wide...

If we can help improve communication and participation between all parties it's a step in the right direction.

Ray has a Garage sale and Monthly specials page...a web newsletter...a perfect example of keeping his clients up to date. If we were to know what old inventory Richard is sitting on in this forum...it would generate interest.

I would kindly ask all of you to keep this thread going, your valued opinions are necessary. Thanks again! ld       

jbcollier:
I worked in British car repair for decades.  Our mark-up was 20% over cost for which we maintained stock and provided warranty.  It doesn't take much dead stock to make the whole thing a losing proposition.  People would moan about the prices all the time.  A turn signal switch for an MGB was $110 and some customers would practically go into full seizure when told the price.  My wife's Corolla needed a turn signal switch and it cost me $325!  My current Volvo needed a seat adjustor knob.  You can't buy it separately: $350 for the assembly.

Ray goes out of his way to stock parts that have been complete unobtainium for years and people COMPLAIN.  Black and silver horn pushes were selling on ebay for multiple hundreds of dollars.  Ray has them made up and sells them for the same price as the ubiquitous green/yellow ones.  It doesn't take more than a month and a lister is moaning about the £$%& price on something that used to take years to find if you could find it at all!

Why not send Ray or Richard 10% EXTRA next time.  That would make them feel appreciated and encourage them to expand their part's offering.

BDA:
I wonder if setting up a clearinghouse for vendors and customers might not be a good idea. Dave is not going to update his website but he might send someone an email of specific parts and prices that he'd like to make sure people knew about (new reproductions, newly found old stock, bits he wants to get rid of). As Lou said Ray does a nice job at that already, but Richard or JAE (I've never bought anything from them) or the Mattys and SJSs might be interested in this too. The idea is to make it easier for them to get the word out. On the other hand, the clearinghouse could have entries for what people are looking for so vendors might have a better idea of the demand or replacements they've discovered which might also help the vendors source parts. It could include group buys.

I think the idea is to make it easier for vendors to know what and how much we need so they could be more efficient and easier for vendors to get the word out about their bits.

Thoughts?

Lou Drozdowski:

--- Quote from: jbcollier on Sunday,July 02, 2017, 06:08:02 AM ---I worked in British car repair for decades.  Our mark-up was 20% over cost for which we maintained stock and provided warranty.  It doesn't take much dead stock to make the whole thing a losing proposition.  People would moan about the prices all the time.  A turn signal switch for an MGB was $110 and some customers would practically go into full seizure when told the price.  My wife's Corolla needed a turn signal switch and it cost me $325!  My current Volvo needed a seat adjustor knob.  You can't buy it separately: $350 for the assembly.

Ray goes out of his way to stock parts that have been complete unobtainium for years and people COMPLAIN.  Black and silver horn pushes were selling on ebay for multiple hundreds of dollars.  Ray has them made up and sells them for the same price as the ubiquitous green/yellow ones.  It doesn't take more than a month and a lister is moaning about the £$%& price on something that used to take years to find if you could find it at all!

Why not send Ray or Richard 10% EXTRA next time.  That would make them feel appreciated and encourage them to expand their part's offering.

--- End quote ---

Your point?...I don't want to have a pissing match, everyone has had displeasure at some time during a buying purchase for what ever item in life they desire. I am personal friends with Ray, he is a great guy and dedicated to helping. The issue at hand is exactly what you have described...ending the frustration and solving problems for the future. We would all be better served to stay positive and constructive in reaching a mutual goal...

The identification of the issue, adapt and overcome...Semper Fi   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version