Author Topic: My Type 54 to sort of 47 Conversion  (Read 75993 times)

Offline RoddyMac

My Type 54 to sort of 47 Conversion
« on: Friday,November 08, 2013, 02:18:14 PM »
I've just joined the forum, so I thought i would post what I'm up to.  I've recently picked up a Type 54 bodyshell, 395 gearbox and Twin Cam bell housing to make myself a sort of 47 replica.  The plan is to fabricate a tube frame chassis that's close in dimensions to the sheet steel 47 chassis, and power it with a Ford Zetec (if i could find one here in town).   So, here's a pic of what I bought yesterday, and what was previously housed in the garage.

I'll put pictures up as the build progresses.

Cheers,
Rod

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
Re: My Type 54 to sort of 47 Conversion
« Reply #1 on: Friday,November 08, 2013, 06:01:01 PM »
Hi Rod,
that sounds like a nice idea. Do you have racing your car in mind?

Best regards

Stefan

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Friday,November 08, 2013, 10:39:10 PM »
Wow, that's a lovely looking car.

Is it yours and do you still have it or did it have to go to make space for the Europa ?

Brian

ps -  :Welcome:  of course....

Offline cal44

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,November 09, 2013, 04:14:28 AM »
Welcome Rod.

Indeed keep us informed on the build, I eat that stuff up with a big ol' spoon.

As for the second picture........dang it...........

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,November 09, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
Can't wait to watch this unfold!

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,November 09, 2013, 10:39:21 AM »
Stefan,
Sadly there is a lack of race tracks here in BC (1 only in my area) , so the car will be a street car only.

Brian,
I sold the Eleven last month, and its actually headed in your direction.  The new owner is based in Wales, and is an avid Lotus nut.  I didn't drive it enough, so instead of it just sitting I decided to sell it, then look for a new project.  I narrowed down to another Seven or the Europa, and seeing as I have never driven one, I chose the Europa.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Saturday,November 09, 2013, 11:05:15 PM »
Hi Rod,

Back to the UK eh ? well that is a change from the normal course of events.  A lovely car though, both condition and styling so I'm sure the new owner is going to be very happy once it arrives.

I think I understand your "don't drive it enough" comment,  it's the perfect definition of a fun car which probably means it only comes out when the sun is shining and you fancy a blast down some deserted roads.  Perhaps the new owner is looking for some track day/competition use, Oulton Park racetrack isn't far from Wales and of course there's at least one other track in Anglesey.

But with quality like that in your CV, I'll be looking forward to your Europa project pictures....   

Brian

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,November 12, 2013, 08:16:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Roddy. Unfortunately I couldn't check out the pics from my work computer, but I'll see them soon. Sounds like an interesting Europa project. Cheers
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #8 on: Monday,November 25, 2013, 08:09:34 AM »
I thought by now I would be starting on the chassis for the car, but after giving the gearbox I bought with the car a quick looking over, plans changed slightly.  I thought I had picked up a 395 'box, but after a better inspection its an NG3.  Great/awesome was what I thought at the start, but I noticed that one of the shift levers was missing (the side to side lever).  So, I thought no big deal, I'm sure i can sort something out, lets see if i can get it to shift through the gears anyways.  Nope, seized, would not budge.  So, apart it came:

You can clearly see where the oil level was, and where the water on top of the oil was.  The second motion shaft (output) seems to be ok, but the input shaft has rust pitting on 3rd gear, and 5th gear syncro hub outer is pitted.  Needless to say, I think I'll be searching for another gearbox.

« Last Edit: Tuesday,November 26, 2013, 11:32:57 AM by RoddyMac »

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,March 19, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »
Its been a while since updating this thread...  a few weeks ago I finally found a decent Zetec within my budget, and managed to find another NG3 transaxle.  Fingers crossed both are in decent shape.  I've put the diff back in the damaged NG3 and bolted the case back together along with the bellhousing, and attached the unit to the back of the Zetec for measuring.  I've also ordered a pile of tubing so that I can start on the chassis.  The goal for the upcoming weekend is to have at least the front cross member fabricated, and possibly the center section of the chassis.  Once that's done, I can tack together the rear section minus suspension mounts and see if the power unit will fit.

I'm planning on removing the alternator mount completely as it will not only foul the thermostat housing, but also a cross tube on the chassis.

I'll post some more pictures early next week.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,March 19, 2014, 04:00:49 PM »
NG3 transaxles have ridiculously low first gears with a huge gap between 1st and 2nd.  I prefer early 395s which have a tighter ratio set than a 365.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,March 26, 2014, 10:53:59 AM »
The frame build has begun:

Hopefully this weekend I'll have the front cross member built, and the rear portion of the chassis tacked into place.  Then it will be on to front wishbones and rear uprights.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,March 27, 2014, 10:19:28 AM »
I would love to do a build like this one day. What kind of rear suspension set up are you going to go with? What are your plans for the car when it is finished? It looks great!

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,March 27, 2014, 01:06:04 PM »
The plan is to build the rear suspension similar to the what the Lotus 47 had.  So fabricated uprights using VW Rabbit bearings, hubs and cut down cv axles; reversed lower wishone; single upper link and twin trailing links. 

Plans for when its finished...  drive it, and drive it often.  I built a Seven a number of years ago, and drove the crap out of it.  I sold it when I was building the Eleven.  The Eleven I didn't drive much, so I'm hoping that the Europa will be as enjoyable and easy to drive as the Seven was. 

« Last Edit: Thursday,March 27, 2014, 01:09:46 PM by RoddyMac »

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,March 27, 2014, 03:39:20 PM »
Here are some screen shots of the concept, minus the trailing arms & chassis, but with the rear bulkhead assembly.  The upper centre portion of the bulkhead will be a bolt in piece incorporating the gearbox mounts (still to be designed).   Also, the uprights aren't fully modeled, so wont look exactly like what's shown.