Author Topic: 1972 & 1973 TCS projects  (Read 5743 times)

Offline Pete Gossett

1972 & 1973 TCS projects
« on: Wednesday,June 20, 2012, 03:11:17 PM »
I picked up these earlier this spring as a package deal. The proverbial "basket case", the seller bought the yellow '72 in the late-70's and drove it until the bulkhead on the frame rusted through and cracked in 1983. He parked it in his garage, starting it occasionally over the next 20-years or so.

In 1989 he bought the black car(originally dark red) with a seized piston to steal the frame and part out. However, he was able to pull the engine apart and get it freed. He ordered a new piston and rings for it, but never installed it.

At some point after that, he bough a complete frame from a Europa autocrosser in Michigan. The frame has been stitch-welded, and other than some surface rust from sitting in the garage over the years, appears to be in great condition.

Plans are slowly forming at this point. I've forced myself from even touching the cars yet, as we're in the middle of a big remodel, plus a recent job loss has me scrambling to get our part-time business into full-time mode. The yellow '72 is in better condition and far more original, so I think I'll focus on it when I do have time to start. I'd like a car that's autocross competitive on the local-level, yet still street legal. Towards that end, I'm pretty well set on a Zetec swap. For the money to build the Twink up to reasonable power levels, I'm pretty confident I can build and swap the Zetec instead. It helps that I have access to running junkyard engines for $75. Beyond that, both windshields are cracked, so budget constraints may necessitate a polycarbonate windshield. No more than I'll be driving it, I shouldn't have a problem. Of course, I'll have to upgrade the suspension and wheels/tires. And I imagine the brakes at some point too. No worries though, I'm not looking for a V8 or 1/4-mile times.  ;)

As far as the second car goes, well...I'm not sure yet. It would make sense to part it to raise funds to build the yellow car, but I hate to sell anything off that I may need later. The thought of building it as a stripped-down E-mod or X-prepared autocrosser also intrigues me. Besides, it seems like quite a few are owners of multiple Europas!

Anyway, don't expect quick updates. It will likely be winter before I even get started!

Offline Pete Gossett

Re: 1972 & 1973 TCS projects
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,June 20, 2012, 03:59:30 PM »
Here are pictures I received from the seller prior to purchase.

Offline Pete Gossett

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,June 20, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »
And more:

Offline cal44

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,June 20, 2012, 07:03:23 PM »
Pete,

I saw those on Craigslist and was so tempted to gas up the Expedition and rent a trailer.  Keep us in the loop.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Pete Gossett

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,June 20, 2012, 08:11:40 PM »
Thanks Mike!

I was absolutely, 100%, NOT looking for a Europa(let alone two) when I clicked on that ad. But I figured what's the chance of coming across another deal like that so local? I just can't wait to get started!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Friday,July 27, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »
A very interesting score there Pete. You've got your hands full, but I expect we are all going to learn a few things on this journey. Keep us posted.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #6 on: Friday,July 27, 2012, 09:35:46 AM »
Looks like between the two car you should be able to get one good one. Good luck on the restoration. I've done the Zetec swap, so if you need some information just let me know. I also make a set of motor mounts for the swap.

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Friday,July 27, 2012, 10:20:43 PM »
LotusJoe - is that a hydraulic clutch in your photo and is it using the same clutch/bellhousing that the 352 TC uses ? If so, now that's something I would be interested in hearing about.

Brian

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #8 on: Sunday,July 29, 2012, 05:01:01 PM »
LotusJoe - is that a hydraulic clutch in your photo and is it using the same clutch/bellhousing that the 352 TC uses ? If so, now that's something I would be interested in hearing about.

Brian
Hey Brian,
Yes, it is a hydraulic conversion. If you like I can dig up the instructions for the conversion.

Joe
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #9 on: Sunday,July 29, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »
Yes, I'd be interested in looking at how it all goes together and operates. There's no urgency because I'll be honest and say that I wouldn't start a project immediately 'cos I've other toys to play with at the moment, but it is the sort of project that would go very well over winter. The cable clutch works ok but having the cable run inside the car always looked like a home-made bodge on a kit-car and hydraulics looks a neater solution. Maybe something for the Technical section ?
Brian

Offline Pete Gossett

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,October 24, 2012, 04:55:16 PM »
It just crossed my mind that I should probably post a link here to my build-thread over on Grassroots Motorsports: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/basket-case-europas/53366/page1/

I apologize for not keeping this up-to-date, but I've been posting updates over on GRM as well as on a local forum, so it's a bit difficult to keep on top of it all. But I do feel it's important that anyone coming to this site for information has access to my follies as well!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #11 on: Thursday,October 25, 2012, 06:44:53 AM »
Thanks for the link, Pete. I haven't been on the Grassroots site for a few months (which is a shame because its a great gearhead forum). I'll have a thorough read when I get a few quiet minutes. Cheers.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor