Author Topic: 15" Superlite/Minilite on a S1  (Read 2431 times)

Offline lior_baruch

• Back On Two
15" Superlite/Minilite on a S1
« on: Friday,November 01, 2013, 03:21:37 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new here... also new to Lotus, just bought mine a few days ago :)

In the dictionary, if you will look for the picture next to the term 'project car', you will find what I just bought  :pirate:

Most of the parts are there, in a bad condition, sorted (kind of...) in boxes.

I'm planning to buy a lot of new parts (all the brakes, suspensions, steering parts etc.).

Another thing that I just bought is a fender extension kit that will allow more room for a 15" wheels and in my opinion, will also look good...
That's the kit:

I would like to fit the car with a 15" wheels, either Superlite or Minilite.

I was doing a search in the forum but couldn't find exact answers... I'll be happy if you can share from your knowledge and experience and help with some basic information I need such as Offset, Backspace, bolt pattern etc. etc. ...

Here you can see some of my other projects:
http://www.BackOnTwo.com

Lior.

Dreams are meant to come true
http://www.backontwo.com

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Re: 15" Superlite/Minilite on a S1
« Reply #1 on: Friday,November 01, 2013, 04:22:20 PM »
 :Welcome:
As if an S1 isn't rare enough. You've got an S1 in Israel. But it looks like it's mostly there. I suspect your going to find what most S1 owners find when you separate the body from the chassis and that is frame rot. Very common in the S1. I'm sure someone will chime in on wheel specs, but 15" Minilites / Panasports are fairly easy to come by.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline cal44

« Reply #2 on: Friday,November 01, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »
Lior,

I would seriously think about "not" chopping up an S1.................

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Saturday,November 02, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
Hi Lior,

First off I've got to say I'm with Mike on this one, I wouldn't dream of chopping an S1, it's already got the purest lines of any version of the Europa IMO.  But hey, it's your car and when all said and done, it's a mechanical toy and not the Mona Lisa....

15" wheels. I've got 15" wheels on my TC and I think these are the details you'll need;

P.C.D.    95.25 mm
Offset    30 - 35 mm

They are 15"x6" wide, fitted with Toyo R1 tyres at 195/50 front, 205/50 rear.  The PCD is smaller than the industry norm these days and although I think you'll get superlites in the right dimensions you won't have a great range of options. Also check the stud sizes, for my particular wheels I needed to fit thicker & longer studs. The wheels I've fitted were standard fitment on the MGF if you need a "modern car" reference.

There's plenty of clearance on the TC although I understand on the S2 there's a touch of contact on the inner front wheelarches on full lock. I'd expect your car to be the same ? Plenty of room at the rear though.

Brian

« Last Edit: Saturday,November 02, 2013, 12:19:30 AM by EuropaTC »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Monday,November 04, 2013, 07:16:17 AM »
Welvome to the forum, Lior. Interesting S1 project. We don't see those everyday. Cheers.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor