Author Topic: rear brake linings for a TC  (Read 1324 times)

Offline YellowS4DHC

rear brake linings for a TC
« on: Wednesday,October 31, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »
Hi all,
I want to replace my rear brake shoes on my '72 TC, but I'm not sure what model Spitfire uses those same linings.

According to the GGLC, the linings from a GT6 are supposed to fit a TC, but I've read contradictory info elsewhere. 

What linings should I order?  Also, same question on brake drums.  It might be cheaper to buy new aftermarket drums than machine the ones I've got.

thanks
Rick

'72 Europa TC

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: rear brake linings for a TC
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,November 01, 2012, 12:37:04 AM »
Hi Rick,

I replaced my linings this summer and did a bit of research on the topic.  All my comments relate to the UK, 1972 TC variant, so here goes;

1. The linings are 8" diameter, 1.25" width.   The ones I used had the following applications on the box; Triumph Vitesse, GT6, 1300, 1300TC. 1966 onwards.  I believe this is the same as the S2 cars but don't know for certain.

2. The later Europa Specials used 1.5" width shoes with different hydraulic cylinders and presumably different drums. It wouldn't surprise me if they came from the later variants of the GT6 Mk III.  That's a guess and I don't know for sure, but it's a caveat to check the year of GT6 application. On the Rimmer Brothers site they have different shoes listed for early & late GT6 MkIII but only one part number for the Vitesse., which happens to be the same as the early MkIII GT6.

3. I initially guessed at Triumph Herald/Spitfire but found the Heralds used 7" drums. (annoying because I found some very cheap NOS ones !!)  I also have a vague recollection of some Fords having the same 8"x 1.25" shoe size (Anglia ?)

Random comments I'm afraid but I hope they help your search. Check the dimensions before you leave the shop is the best I can do !

Brian

p.s.  if you do get new drums, it would be very handy if you could confirm the application.

Offline YellowS4DHC

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,November 06, 2012, 08:13:56 PM »
Brian,
thank you for your response.   

I've only looked at my linings briefly, but I believe that they are also 1.25 inches in width.

Looking at the Victoria British LTD parts catalogue on-line, it appears that the GT6 from '66 thru '72 has different shoes and drums from the '73 GT6.  Combining your observations with the Victoria British listings, I'm inclined to believe that the '66 - '72 GT6 has the shoes and drums that fit a std. TC (and perhaps the later GT6 shoes/drums fit the Special....?).

Since I have to order on-line and will not be able to inspect before purchasing, I need to consider carefully.  The possibility of eating a re-stocking fee instills caution, esp for drums.  Nevertheless, I appreciate the jumpstart you've given me.

regards
Rick

'72 Europa TC ....and other stuff

Offline YellowS4DHC

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,December 06, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »
Brian,
just to add a data point...... 

I just received the '73 GT6 linings I ordered from Victoria British and they are identical to the ones I  pulled off my car.  They are 1.5 inches wide and have all the correct holes, Victoria British part no. 6-530, cost $24.95 USD.

regards,
Rick

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,December 06, 2012, 11:09:10 PM »
Good feedback Rick, I think it's safe to assume that the drums themselves are also of GT6 origin. Another note to make alongside the page in the parts book !

Brian