Author Topic: 3675R Restoration  (Read 33242 times)

Offline cal44

Re: 3675R Restoration
« Reply #90 on: Monday,April 08, 2013, 05:44:17 AM »
Life is full of disappointment..............this ain't one of them........swaaaeeet.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline 3929R

« Reply #91 on: Monday,April 08, 2013, 08:08:48 AM »
WOOOO HOOOO! 
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #92 on: Thursday,April 18, 2013, 05:26:16 PM »
Drove the Europa Home Today!! WOW!  :D

What an experience, I've never felt something like that! Its so responsive! I need to get used to the whole car still, but I did a very good job driving it back! It cornered so flat, I loved it!

Still needs to have a couple things done to it: Mirrors, Alignment, passenger side sill, misc. parts and hopefully we will work all the kinks out soon. Not that much left to do!  :D

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #93 on: Thursday,April 18, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »
 :trophy: Nice job ! Car looks great  :trophy:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #94 on: Thursday,April 18, 2013, 09:56:02 PM »
That's certainly something to be proud of, well done to both yourself and your dad.  It looks stunning, simply stunning.

Brian

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #95 on: Friday,April 19, 2013, 06:35:13 AM »
WOOHOO!! :pirate: That is fantastic, Chris. Your Europa is flat out gorgeous. You and your Dad have done a wonderful job. This is one of the coolest father/son projects ever.

I still remember how my first drive felt in my Europa, so I know well how you feel. I also found that as I continued to drive the car and became more familiar with it, the enjoyment level continued to increase, and three years later it still does. The Europa is at the same time a blatant temptress and a subtle seductress. She beckons for action but reveals herself to you slowly. And like any fine woman, stroke her the right way and you'll get the ride of your life... but turn your back on her and she'll make your life miserable.

I find that three years later I'm still learning the car. Perhaps being twice your age and having cut my teeth on heavy American cars, I have a lot of pre-concieved notions that must be erased in order for the soul of the Europa to shine through, but the learning experience is a hell of a lot of fun. Enjoy, Chris. I'm looking forward to seeing this beauty at LOG. Cheers. :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #96 on: Friday,April 19, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Drove it a lot more today! I absolutely love it! Still needs to have some work done on it to be completely finished but it drives very good! It idles a little fast but that's not a huge deal and the throttle cable is a bit stiff but other than that it drives great, I got used to that.

I gave my mom a short ride today, and she didn't say much. She was scared... About a couple miles away from home she finally started talking haha Shes definitely not used to it, and I don't think she will ever be. She told me every time I drive it to tell her so she will tell me to be careful! I'm a little afraid of it too, but once I get used to it I'll be fine, but I'm still going to be cautious of other drivers. Its so small! I will take good care of the car!

I can't wait for LOG! Its going to be a blast!

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #97 on: Sunday,April 21, 2013, 11:38:21 AM »
Prom was fantastic! I had a great time! :D

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #98 on: Sunday,April 21, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »
Tsk, tsk, you must have done something wrong when you built it Chris.  Normally when you are in your best gear and all set for taking your wife/girlfriend out for the day a REAL Lotus will find something oily and hidden underneath to break......   :)

Hope you both have a lot of fun using the car now it's finished. Any girl who can get into a Europa wearing a long dress is worth taking extra trouble to look after !

Brian

Offline 3929R

« Reply #99 on: Tuesday,April 23, 2013, 08:10:29 AM »
She's beautiful! 

I think being a little of afraid of driving the Europa is a good thing.  It keeps me alert and looking out for idiot drivers, especially those with tires taller than our roofs that don't think to look down.

Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline cal44

« Reply #100 on: Tuesday,April 23, 2013, 07:35:58 PM »
That is quite something.  It is nice to think how much more you know than the average guy your age.   A real learning.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #101 on: Thursday,April 25, 2013, 07:56:54 AM »
Thanks everyone! She's a blast to drive!

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday,June 05, 2013, 11:55:35 AM »
When you guys installed your door window trim did you use any glue? I noticed when I took mine out there was a black adhesive between the aluminum molding and the window frame.

And did you add the vinyl molding around the wind screen?

Also where did you get the rubber trim you put around the engine compartment and how is it finished down around the luggage compartment area?

Your car turn out very nice. Great job!!
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline CLW

« Reply #103 on: Wednesday,June 05, 2013, 07:31:16 PM »
LotusJoe,
1. We put a bead of black silicone under the window frame to seal it.
2. The windshield trim goes at the bottom of the windshield about 8 inches from the corners at the place where the fiberglass extends out towards the dash, up the side of the windshield, across the top, down the other side and along the windshield bottom like the other side. The crash pad went under the two sides where the trim is and we left some material along the front middle that went under the windshield itself that we trimmed to fit. We trimmed it around the vin plate also.
3. I had some of the old door gasket material that we cleaned up and used along the front engine cover area. It is very common material if you don't have any however.

Thanks for all the complements! Chris and I appreciate them!

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday,June 18, 2013, 05:44:35 AM »
LotusJoe,
1. We put a bead of black silicone under the window frame to seal it.
2. The windshield trim goes at the bottom of the windshield about 8 inches from the corners at the place where the fiberglass extends out towards the dash, up the side of the windshield, across the top, down the other side and along the windshield bottom like the other side. The crash pad went under the two sides where the trim is and we left some material along the front middle that went under the windshield itself that we trimmed to fit. We trimmed it around the vin plate also.
3. I had some of the old door gasket material that we cleaned up and used along the front engine cover area. It is very common material if you don't have any however.

Thanks for all the complements! Chris and I appreciate them!
Is the trim around the windscreen something you decided to add? I don't see it in the parts manual. Where did you get the chrome plastic surround for the windscreen?
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)