Author Topic: Toolkit anyone?  (Read 3960 times)

Offline europaloon

Offline BDA

Re: Toolkit anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,January 11, 2018, 02:32:03 PM »
That's a lot of money for a crappy tool kit. You could certainly buy a MUCH nicer one for a lot less, but if you want originality, you may have to pay it.

Offline europaloon

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,January 11, 2018, 05:33:21 PM »
Charming!

Is that how Hero members should speak of Newbie posts? It may not appeal to you but at least I'm trying to bring a desirable product to the attention of forum members.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,January 11, 2018, 06:01:54 PM »
europaloon, I meant no offence. It sounds like you are the seller - honestly, a thought that didn't occur to me when I wrote my comment. Please consider me clueless rather than cruel or dismissive. I have seen other original toolkits for a similar price (actually, I believe one was more expensive) so for what it is, I don't think it is priced improperly.

I hope there are no hard feelings and I hope you get your price for it.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,January 11, 2018, 08:14:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Alas, only the TC/s had those kits.  I guess no one expected the Renault powered ones to break down ;-)

There are a fair number of posts on auctions which are then commented on, often in great detail.  Almost all are not posted by the seller.  The forum's ebay classified section is full of them.  We often talk about condition and value.  Such is the nature of an online list.  Next time use wording such as: "Here's a link to my ebay auction for xxx" and we'll get the hint.

Cheers

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,January 11, 2018, 09:38:53 PM »
If you are putting in a link to something you are advertising that you are selling, it is common practice on this forum to say so.

Similarly most links say they have no connection with the seller.

IMHO that is overpriced, but time will tell. You only need one buyer with lots of £ who wants originality.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,January 11, 2018, 10:45:31 PM »
Alas, only the TC/s had those kits.  I guess no one expected the Renault powered ones to break down ;-)

:FUNNY:  Now John, that did make me chuckle over the first coffee of the day !   For a modern (ish) comparison, by the mid 90s Lotus had moved away from supplying toolkits with the Elises, but rather ominously they gave you 12 months breakdown cover with the AA so you could get towed home...

As for the toolkit, well it's not my thing but I can see why someone would want to buy one. It's the same with the original jacks, etc, they are worth what the market will bear.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Friday,January 12, 2018, 07:27:37 AM »
True.  It was generally the first thing removed from the car, and then promptly lost.  I paid $400US for the correct jack, wrench and bag for the early Europas, and then didn't end up using them.  Oh well, it will all be there for the next owner.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #8 on: Friday,January 12, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »
I bought this kit off eBay for 45 quid (whatever that was in US bucks) a month ago. Had to pay almost the same in shipping from UK because the seller wouldn't take the useless (to me) lead hammer out of the kit!  :WTF: Bought a nice, but not original stitched Naugahyde roll to go with it. For appearance only.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Friday,January 12, 2018, 07:51:12 PM »
You would have thought he would have thrown the hammer in the trash for the same price and have you pay less for shipping!

I would guess a lead hammer is the vintage version of a dead blow hammer. I love mine!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Friday,January 12, 2018, 07:54:13 PM »
Sorry to “lead” this thread astray but lead hammers are great.  I love them.  I bought a mould and make them out discarded wheel weights.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #11 on: Friday,January 12, 2018, 07:54:33 PM »
I have several dead-blow hammers, shot and urethane. It's nice, and it won't go to waste, but I don't have knocks-offs. Maybe I should buy an old Elan to go with my nice hammer?
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Friday,January 12, 2018, 08:12:07 PM »
Sorry to “lead” this thread astray but lead hammers are great.  I love them.  I bought a mould and make them out discarded wheel weights.
What do you use your lead hammer for besides knock-offs? And was it really necessary to inflict that pun on us? :FUNNY:

Maybe I should buy an old Elan to go with my nice hammer?
I like the way you think!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #13 on: Friday,January 12, 2018, 11:20:50 PM »
I bought this kit off eBay for 45 quid (whatever that was in US bucks) a month ago. Had to pay almost the same in shipping from UK because the seller wouldn't take the useless (to me) lead hammer out of the kit!  :WTF: Bought a nice, but not original stitched Naugahyde roll to go with it. For appearance only.

That's a good buy, it could even be the tools supplied with the 60s Elan because mine came with a similar motley collection including a lead hammer for the knock on wheels.  I haven't been to an autojumble for a while but you'd regularly see boxes of old spanners, screwdrivers and the period adjustable spanners for sale at a pound or two. (adjustables obviously more).

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,January 13, 2018, 07:34:25 AM »
Lead hammers provide a large amount of force with a soft, malleable face.  I use mine all the time.  Far, far more effective than a dead blow hammer.