Author Topic: Seats....finally dawns on me  (Read 3434 times)

Offline cal44

Seats....finally dawns on me
« on: Monday,July 23, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
Since I am rather green in Europa ownership I couldn't figure out why, while sitting in the little beast, something didn't seem right. 

Yesterday while sitting again (not driving) I find I don't like the front of the door frame (upper) several inches from my head when the door is closed, just seems odd.  It also came to light that if the padded (to much) head rest was not so far forward the upper part of the door would not be an issue.

It is like an airplane headrest....to far intrusive and making your head to far forward.  Come to thing about it..........what the heck do you need a head restraint for anyway?.   You get hit in this I thing whiplash is your least important topic.

My seats are perfect so I will not be tearing into them.  I will hunt for some used TC seats, or, are all the seats the same in Europa's.

Mike

« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 25, 2012, 08:58:26 AM by cal44 »
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Seats....finally dawns on me
« Reply #1 on: Monday,July 23, 2012, 10:38:34 PM »
Mike,

I thought the seats remained the same basic pattern throughout the life of the Europa, and sitting in the TC sounds pretty much what you describe, there's not a lot of room to move about  :)

Although headrests are all about whiplash prevention these days, I think back then it was more of a genuine "head rest"  designed to support the whole body in a car meant to be a true GT. I happen to be the ideal size for this generation of Lotus cars (5'8", same as Chapman) so I find the car very comfortable to drive, more so than lots of modern cars. 

If you want to swop seats then there are limited options because they are quite narrow. The Elise seats would fit and have a much thinner headrest, but even fitting the latest S2 Elise seats they have far less padding in important areas than the standard Europa ones.  In the UK there are a few companies making aftermarket seats for the Kit Car brigade and as most of these seem to be Lotus 7 derivations, they are also narrow and would slot in ok, no doubt you guys have similar aftermarket seats over there ?

Brian

Offline Steve

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,July 24, 2012, 06:50:10 AM »
Mike, the seats are different between the S2 & TC cars. The TC seats have a more "upright" aspect to them, to match the profile of the TC's canted firewall angle. "Somewhere" in the yahoo group photo files, is a picture of the two types in profile.

The S2 seats seam to rust out more, and are not as easy to find in a serviceable condition.

Offline cal44

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,July 24, 2012, 11:55:14 AM »
Thanks guys.  I think is boils down too the padding in the head rest/restraint..  I did inquire about a pair of  TC seats for sale but the ask was a little out of my zone.  The older I get the more patience I have in certain areas (other areas not so much)........a TC pair will show up. 

I have a vision of the stock looking seat but only about one  inche total thickness in the head rest and certainly reducing the extreme angle.  That is why I "hate" airplane seats.

Mike
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,July 24, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »
Hi Mike,

If it really is bugging you, then it might be an idea to look for some aftermarket ones. I didn't realise the S2 & TC seats were different until Steve pointed it out, but if the TC ones are more upright then they might well be even worse in terms of pushing you towards the windscreen/roof padding.  I seem to recall they changed the cabin to give more legroom on the TC & Special, maybe one or two of those extra inches were made by changing the angle of the seat back so it could move further back ?

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #5 on: Friday,July 27, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »
I am such a genius...........not!

I just noticed four screws holding on the head rest.  I will pull them forward, un-screw and after removing will note here if there is much difference in space for my big dumb German head................

Mike
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Friday,July 27, 2012, 10:06:12 PM »
err, well you're a better genius than me Mike. I've owned my car roughly getting on for 25yrs now and haven't noticed any screws !

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,July 28, 2012, 05:46:11 AM »
Brian,

the interior of this car has been re-done by the prior owner/s.  It may be an after market deal with the four screws.  I will report back after I......oil the fence, walk the dog, fix the sink.........ugh.

I feel like a rented mule 
United States Marines