Author Topic: new member  (Read 65121 times)

Online BDA

Re: new member
« Reply #345 on: Sunday,October 16, 2016, 07:20:40 PM »
The original pins were one piece. I think they are harder to find so we get a big and a little one. The shop manual won't help here.

I would guess that you put in the big one and then the little one. I think if you put the two together first, you won't be able to get them in at all.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #346 on: Sunday,October 16, 2016, 08:09:58 PM »
AFAIK, 336 boxes use two pins, 352 and 365 boxes the single spiral pin.  RD Enterprises, Banks, and I'm sure others, carry both.

Offline rascott

« Reply #347 on: Sunday,October 16, 2016, 09:33:58 PM »
AFAIK, 336 boxes use two pins, 352 and 365 boxes the single spiral pin.  RD Enterprises, Banks, and I'm sure others, carry both.
check, i should have mentioned, it's a 336-46 gearbox- it had 2pin sets in it.
they drifted out with no problem, and the replacements came from ray(rd ent.).
i was trying to get a large one to start, but haven't developed the technique yet- hard to hold the pin and drive it with any good force/direction.
it seems i would drive the big one out w/the little one........but mabe not?
this sling arrangement worked well:

Offline Roger

« Reply #348 on: Monday,October 17, 2016, 04:11:38 AM »
Try each pin, large one first, both ends at each hole. So 4 tries per side.
Pick the easiest and drive away.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #349 on: Monday,October 17, 2016, 07:42:54 AM »
Just make sure that the smaller pin will fit into the larger pin. For while one of the venders was supplying oversized inner pins, totally useless.

The technique that I used to drive both pins in was to drive in the outer pin partway, drive the inner pin about halfway into the outer pin then drive both in at the same time. It seemed to work well

Offline rascott

« Reply #350 on: Friday,October 21, 2016, 01:37:56 PM »
haha- i've ordered a couple of more sets of rollpins.
i see the ones i removed had the small ones only driven partway, and understand how that came about.......
i have developed a successful way to drive the large ones, so that's good, but have suffered the bent nail problem with the small one.
i should have plenty of experience before this is right.

platym102216
kinda stalled a bit on the driveshafts(should have new pins mon?), so i'm seeing how the rear suspension fits- i have new bushings for the lower links, and new shocks.
found that the crossmember the shocks attach to was modified prior to the rear clip- had to clearance some repair fiberglass(left side) to refit it as original.
all good, i guess.

hmmm103016
the roll pin thing has reached a point where i am applying a "that's good enough" approach.
the new pin sets left me at mangling the small pins again.
i have stuffed some 5/32x11/2" roll pins instead.
seems o k, to me, but...
just another compromise in this rescue project, i shall blunder on- mabe i can get it rolling again in a couple of weeks.
what's the worst that can happen?

funruns111916
put the plate back on, put the new tags on it, and drove to the gas station and around a bit.
gonna start making adjustments to the pedal assembly i made, to increase the clutch throw.
starting to tune the carburetor.
still working out the wire mess.
idea is to make it more driveable and add windscreen wipers, before comfort/cosmetics............
« Last Edit: Saturday,November 19, 2016, 02:44:32 PM by rascott »