Author Topic: New UK Member living in the US.  (Read 21417 times)

Offline TCS4605R

Re: New UK Member living in the US.
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday,November 09, 2016, 01:43:48 PM »
Here is a photo of my frame after applying the foam plastic insulation - you can see the same holes as shown in 4129R's photo above.  You can also see the (2) holes at the outer ends of the front cross member where the fiberglass body bolts to the frame.

Tom - 74TCS-4605R

Offline Paul_71

« Reply #136 on: Thursday,November 10, 2016, 11:16:24 AM »
Thanks everyone for the responses. I took a camera and light inside the frame and found localized thickened plates underneath the areas where the holes should be. Since the frame was brand new, I assume these holes had never been cut.
I proceeded the drill the holes and tapped a 3/8-24 thread. Everything is all finished and L brackets now fixed.

On to the next job!

Here is a picture of the dash and wiring progress
« Last Edit: Thursday,November 10, 2016, 11:26:20 AM by LotusJoe »
0261R - Restoration in progress

Offline Paul_71

« Reply #137 on: Tuesday,November 29, 2016, 02:23:33 PM »
Hello all-

Time to share an update on the progress and of course ask some further questions!!
-The wiring loom is now 95% complete and just requires testing. I plan to use a meter to test the loom and each line/ switch over the next couple of weeks.
- One of the seats is now complete and the recovering is done. I mastered the art of the sewing machine, thanks to some handy tips I learnt back in school when we were forced to do needle work as part of Home Studies (or some other name for it.) Funnily enough cooking skills never stuck with me, unlike the ability to sew a car seat cushion.
- Dash is all in secured in.
- Restored fuel tank is in, with all new fixings to the body and grommets, etc...
- Carpet is going in for the difficult to reach places - in preparation for the doors to be attached.

- The windscreen needs to come out and I am yet to buy the new one. I was looking at Pilkington Classics. $390 each. Can anyone recommend a source for the fixing kit here in the US? I notice SJSportscars has one, but prefer something more local. (WINDSCREEN BONDING KIT SJ075B0008  KIT  26.40), Also is there a source for the correct chrome trim here in the US which attaches around the screen before installation?
« Last Edit: Thursday,December 08, 2016, 03:56:31 PM by LotusJoe »

Offline BDA

« Reply #138 on: Tuesday,November 29, 2016, 03:59:00 PM »
She's looking great (though I did have to turn my head around to view a couple of the pictures!)

The seat looks good enough that I wouldn't worry about not being able to cook. After all, you only eat a meal once but you will sit in that seat many times!

One thing you might consider when testing your wiring is to use a dry cell battery. Low amps and voltage shouldn't cause any damage in case there is a problem.

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #139 on: Wednesday,November 30, 2016, 04:01:30 AM »
Pilkington Classics for sure. They sell the original Triplex glass windscreen. That is where I bought mine. It is beautiful.  ;)

Offline Roger

« Reply #140 on: Wednesday,November 30, 2016, 06:18:05 AM »
I got very close to original trim from R.D. Enterprises.
I also got a local glass company to come and bond my screen. They knew what they were doing!

Offline Paul_71

« Reply #141 on: Thursday,December 08, 2016, 02:55:36 PM »
Has anyone refreshed their Dash Pads with some dye? Any recommendations? Mines is good shape (No cracks or splits) just looks a bit faded.

Might as well while the screen is out.

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #142 on: Thursday,December 08, 2016, 05:05:35 PM »
You might take a look at www.leatherique.com - I used their refinishing system on the leather interior of my 1995 BMW 540i, but it can also be used on vinyl.  To apply the dye, I used a piece of microfiber cloth, wetted the cloth with the die and rubbed it on - took three coats to get nice coverage.  It drys a little dull, but can be buffed up.  Leatherique has a cleaner and conditioner that you apply before the dye.  The nice thing about apply the dye with a microfiber cloth is you can control where the dye goes rather than spraying on dye.

Tom
74 4605R

Offline Paul_71

« Reply #143 on: Tuesday,January 03, 2017, 01:23:01 PM »
Time for an update! It's been a busy time finishing off the installation of the new harness and adapting it from a TC to an S2, but finally made it, with the help of britishwiring.com the wires and bits are all looking good and as original as I could make. Now the testing has been complete I am a happy man! Car starts, runs and all lights and electrics are working nicely.

My parents have been over from the UK over Christmas and my dad has helped me install the windscreen, together with a new Chrome surround from Banks. There were plenty of issues and it literally took 2 solid days to get it to the drying stage. Biggest issue was the extrusion didn't fit over the glass edge. Either the glass was too thick or the extruded trim channel was too thin. The process we followed was:
-Removed and cleaned old screen. Cleaned up edges of the body and removed all the old sealant. (was a messy job from the previous owner)
-Cleaned and primed both edge of screen and body.
-Placed the screen in place and made up some small spacers to get the screen to the right offset. from the body flange. Used the two spacers at the bottom of the screen to get the right alignment.
- Using the sealant gun, (Dinitrol 500) we squirted the sealant under the screen as much as we could and used a screw driver to run down the edges. This inserted the right amount of bond between the screen and the flange. We avoided it spilling out over the pillars and inner screen. Lightly pressed the screen to ensure the bond was there. Repeated on all 4 edges. The result looked really good with full coverage under the screen. I preferred this way as there was much more control over where the bonding went.
- We cut the small edge off the back of the trim where it would have fitted around the glass. The plan was to push the previous "L" shape into the bond and let it set. The new shape was basically a shortened L shape with the foot cut off.
- With the trim all cut to length and the ends prepared so they slid into the corner pieces (took a whole day to prepare these parts) we applied more bonding and inserted the trim into the gaps. Then we tied it down with tape until it dried.

It is difficult to explain in words the process, but I hope you get an idea from the bullet points and images.

Next is the side quarter glass and rear window. Is there any instructions for how to insert the quarter windows and rear screen? I have full new sets of seals from Banks and ready to install. But would appreciate some tips.

Offline BDA

« Reply #144 on: Tuesday,January 03, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »
Great job with everything, Paul, but what really impressed me is the fit of your doors!!