Author Topic: 47 Bodied Project Starts - Slightly Delayed. Big pile of bits to sort out.  (Read 21009 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: 47 Bodied Project Starts - Slightly Delayed. Big pile of bits to sort out.
« Reply #90 on: Friday,February 03, 2017, 03:37:21 AM »
Nicely done! I'm impressed that not only are you tackling a do it yourself paint job (on fiberglass no less)  but your painting multiple colors and stripes!

There is a certain sense of pride when you rebuild a car on your own. There is a whole different level of satisfaction that you did all the work on your own. Be very proud of your accomplishment!

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #91 on: Friday,February 03, 2017, 11:46:45 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, all.

In reply to some of the comments and questions:

I've painted a few cars before, but this is by far the biggest and most complex job I've done, because:

- The shell's never seen paint before, so doing all areas.

- 3 colours, which adds a major headache. As well as masking carefully between colours, and trying to avoid a big step at the join, you end up having to flat each colour back before you add the next, to avoid painting on top of orange peel. In addition, you need to leave a few days between different colours, to let the paint harden enough to stay on the car when you peel off the masking tape for the next colour.

- Fibreglass - I've been using flex agent in the 2k products, and adhesion promoter on the bare shell. It's more to remember. Time will tell if I've got it right or not!

There's an insulated area with stud walls at the back of the barn, intended as a paint booth for little jobs, which helps keep the heat in, but the trusty propane space heater is essential in the cold weather we've had. I'm also using fast hardener, and used 'Rocket' in the primer to speed that up.

No doubt I'll scratch it when I'm building it up - already discovered that one of the doors is cracked in the window frame area, so dug into that and repaired it yesterday and today - fibreglass filler and fibreglass tissue mat / epoxy resin on top.

« Reply #92 on: Friday,June 02, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »
Not been on this thread for a while.... life is busy sorting the house out to flog it.

Meanwhile, I had the dash flocked - by flockingfantastic.co.uk - I've used him before

...and the insides of the doors - much lighter than door cards :D

I can still lift the doors up with one finger :D

« Reply #93 on: Friday,June 02, 2017, 02:58:30 PM »
Next - fuel tanks....

The bottoms of the tank wells had been fibreglassed and shut on my shell. I originally bought a couple of standard S2 tanks to use, but I'd have to cut open the bottom of the well again.

Among the pile of fabricated Ally bits that came with the car, were covers for the tank wells. Is this similar to an S1 setup?

It's quite a tight packaging job, with the roll cage stay in that area as well, but I reckon I can get 9-10 gallons in total, which should be enough for my needs - sprints, hills, track days and a bit of road use, but not loads.

So I've mocked up a couple of 'fuel tanks' out of cardboard, with a view to having them fabricated from Ally. The other option would be to put the tanks below the covers. It would be better for weight distribution, but makes the pipework a lot harder.

My model making skills definitely aren't 'pro level'. :D

I'd be very interested to hear people's thoughts on this approach. I'll measure up the engine before I have them made, but what might I have missed?

Is there anything on a Zetec install which might interfere with the right hand tank in particular, as the model I've made protrudes a bit more?

Offline BDA

« Reply #94 on: Friday,June 02, 2017, 06:04:39 PM »
Great work, Strawberry! I can't wait to see it get finished!

Offline buzzer

« Reply #95 on: Saturday,June 03, 2017, 12:44:17 AM »
Yep, looking look. Some real progress.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #96 on: Saturday,June 03, 2017, 10:16:04 AM »
Interesting project. To answer your questions S1's have the gas tanks sitting directly on fiberglass that's shaped to cradle the tank. As far as Zetec interference on the right side the alternator might as well as intake.

« Reply #97 on: Sunday,June 04, 2017, 01:03:31 AM »
Interesting project. To answer your questions S1's have the gas tanks sitting directly on fiberglass that's shaped to cradle the tank. As far as Zetec interference on the right side the alternator might as well as intake.

I did look at S1 tanks, but I don't think they would fit under the roll cage stays.

« Reply #98 on: Sunday,June 04, 2017, 02:51:44 PM »
Can someone with a Zetec conversion please take pics down the sides of the engine, especially RHS, so I can judge how much clearance I need to the RHS fuel tank. Measurements would help too :D

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #99 on: Monday,June 05, 2017, 07:16:13 AM »
Here's a few:

I'm running bike carbs, so they don't protrude as far as Webers, the bump in the inner wing to clear the trailing arms on my build is roughly in the middle of the flat portion (to give some sense of measurements). 

Rod

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #100 on: Monday,June 05, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »
After looking at my Zetec I think your OK with the alternator clearance. Attached is photo of Webers. End of airhorn is 3 inches from the body lip horizontally and 6 inches from the lip to the bottom of the airhorn vertically

« Reply #101 on: Wednesday,June 07, 2017, 01:58:31 AM »
Thanks  - how long is your manifold for the webers? I have one but it might be a bit long.

« Reply #102 on: Friday,May 18, 2018, 12:42:25 AM »
Bump - long time no post!

Had other things on in life - mostly fixing up and selling my flat in Windsor. Getting the hell out of town before the wedding circus tomorrow.

had to move barns too, so no action for the next month on the car, but can still sort bits out in the meantime.

Had to fit the doors to move the car, so some small progress was made.

« Reply #103 on: Friday,May 18, 2018, 12:51:43 AM »
Attempting to attach a pic - hope it works!

The stripe even lines up on this one! I needed to test fit the doors before painting the gold part.

Offline BDA

« Reply #104 on: Friday,May 18, 2018, 05:24:15 AM »
That looks great Strawberry! Looking forward to more action on your car!