Author Topic: Hello i am a new europa owner  (Read 15357 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Hello i am a new europa owner
« Reply #15 on: Friday,May 08, 2015, 09:49:43 AM »
My feeling is you should build it to suit you.

A little story - Mine is pretty highly modified. I have a BDA engine, an NG-3 trans, rear disc and front vented discs, twin link rear suspension, cloth interior, 15" modular wheels, a bubble in the roof and some other things. Some pictures here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f221/hi-nc-89399/

For the last US Lotus meet, I made an extra effort to polish and pretty it up for the "people's choice" awards (people voted for their favorite example of different Lotus categories). There were between 6 and 12 Europas there and they were all very nice. Some were pretty original. All of them were much more original than mine. It seemed to me that none of them got as much attention as mine got. So when the awards were given out, I was disappointed that I got a third place. Then I figured that whatever "they" were looking for, apparently I didn't have enough of it for a first place, and that was fine with me since I didn't build the car for them, I built it for me. It seems that more people are more interested in "original" Europas than I thought. While there are things I wish I had done differently, I'm happy with it.

The moral of the story is to make yourself happy. It's your car and your money. There's no wrong answer as long as you're satisfied in the end.

Good luck and keep us informed about your progress.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #16 on: Friday,May 08, 2015, 10:07:58 PM »
The moral of the story is to make yourself happy. It's your car and your money. There's no wrong answer as long as you're satisfied in the end.

^^^  this, 100%.  You will always find someone who disagrees with what you've done, so do what pleases you.

If you stay original there will be those who say "but the handbrake always was lousy, the headlights were off a mini  (or whatever), etc ".   If you modify it you will get "Original was good enough to be a supercar in it's day so that's good enough" or "Colin Chapman was always right" (and by inference, you're wrong).

My take a has always been to try and keep the car looking like a Europa because it was the styling which attracted me to the car in the first place.  But I have no problem at all with engineering upgrades under the skin. Some work out fine, some not so good and I might revert backwards, but the point is that I get pleasure out of working out the changes or the results of the modifications.

It's my toy to play with.....

Brian

Offline Jesspo

« Reply #17 on: Saturday,May 09, 2015, 12:22:28 AM »

I think you are all right. Originality on this car is not the most importent. More importent is the car to build which my daughter and i am like. I think i will do it this way.

Thanks for your comments.

greetings Frank

Offline Jesspo

« Reply #18 on: Saturday,May 09, 2015, 12:26:26 AM »

First question,

when i will Change form the 4-speed gearbox to the 365 5-speed box what all must be changed? I am not sure how good my Chassis is, can i put the 5-speed in my Chassis? or must be done any modifications?

greetings Frank

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #19 on: Saturday,May 09, 2015, 06:41:58 AM »
Depends, there two different 4 speed trannies (336 & 352) and three different rear cross members (336 only, 352 only & 352/365).  It's all pictured in the parts manual which you can find here:

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm

If you have a 352, you should be able to use the same linkage if you fit a 365.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #20 on: Saturday,May 09, 2015, 07:00:18 AM »

First question,

when i will Change form the 4-speed gearbox to the 365 5-speed box what all must be changed? I am not sure how good my Chassis is, can i put the 5-speed in my Chassis? or must be done any modifications?

greetings Frank

Frank,

Take a look at Dave Syers website on Renault gearboxes. According to Dave, the 352 and 365 look very similar but have slightly different rear cases and may have different rear mounts but have the same bell housing and shift linkage.

In regards to a 365 gearbox, I'll be swapping out the engine and gearbox out of 3923R later on this summer to try to get it back on the road after a 20 year slumber. Contact me in around 6 months if you still need a 365.

The flip side of going original or modifying a car to your tastes is in selling the car in the future. It's a lot easier to sell an original car than one that has been heavily and irreversibly  modified. Even though you may think that you will never sell your Europa, you never know what the future holds.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Joji Tokumoto 

Offline Jesspo

« Reply #21 on: Saturday,May 09, 2015, 07:14:58 AM »
Ok, i am not sure what is in my car. as all go ok i will collect the car next tuesday and them i can made Pictures. In the Moment i have only this Picture. And i think this is a 352 gearbox

Offline BDA

« Reply #22 on: Saturday,May 09, 2015, 07:25:35 AM »
Joji makes a good point about selling the car in the future. Depending on the modification, it could limit who and how much someone might pay. I wouldn't think changing a 4 speed to a 5 speed falls into that category, though I'm sure there is someone out there who might complain.

The 365 should be an easier swap than an NG-3 so if you can relieve Joji of his, that would be good. The NG-3 is a bit newer and as such parts should be easier to get should you need them, but they're both old. I wouldn't want to teach someone how to drive a manual transmission on either one of them!

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #23 on: Saturday,May 09, 2015, 07:32:55 AM »
Forgot the link to Dave Syers website.

http://www.syer.net/donor_cars.htm

Offline 3929R

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,May 09, 2015, 08:06:02 AM »
Frank, I am curious, is your daughter a child, teenager, or an adult?
How much will she be helping on this project?  Will she be driving it?
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Jesspo

« Reply #25 on: Saturday,May 09, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »
Hi Mark,

she is 20years old and very interested in cars and for a Girl she knows a lot about cars. She has helped a bit on the Kadett restaturation 5 years ago. Also she was very sad that i sold my elise two years ago. Now she was with me on thursday to have a look on the Europa and she is very happy that i bought him. I think she will help a bit on the Restauration. In the Moment she is waiting to drive the Kadett the first time ( there are someting to do before) but i think after the Lotus is fish she is very interested to drive it.

greetings Frank

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #26 on: Saturday,May 09, 2015, 09:58:25 AM »
I don't have a 352 for comparison but here are some pictures of a 365. There should also be a round aluminum ID tag on the rear cover.

Offline Jesspo

« Reply #27 on: Saturday,May 09, 2015, 10:26:31 AM »

Thanks for the Pictures, mine Looks definitv diffrent so i am think it is a 352 box. There is no metal plate on the rear cover.

Can you tell me where i can found the gearbox and the engine number. The dealer is US said the car is matching numbers :confused:, but he also told it is a 5-speed 8)

Offline pboedker

« Reply #28 on: Saturday,May 09, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »
Hello Frank,

Welcome to the forum.  :)

Your gearbox is a 4 speed 352, this means that the swap to a 5 speed 365 will be fairly easy. I did it to my own car, so it must have been.  ;D

The 5 speed was an option at the time for the US cars, so both types would be original equipment, though of course the strict originality question depends on the actual car.

You will need to do the following:
  • Replace the rectangular bracket that bolts between the rear frame and the gearbox with the type of bracket on Grumblebun's picture.
  • Replace the part of the shift tube that runs from the UJ at the clutch house and to the back, since the 5 speed is a little longer. If I remember correctly, it must be 12mm longer, mine was done with a hacksaw and then a welded in piece.
  • Check that your 352-box has the larger diameter control shaft on the rear, since they came with two different sizes (13 or 15 mm) and the 365 only with the larger.
  • Oh, and to make it perfect: A gearshifter knob with the 'O/D' text next to 3rd gear.
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline Jesspo

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday,May 12, 2015, 02:38:08 PM »

so i catch up the car today and it now stands safe in my garage ;)

on the way we made a quick stop on a cleaning hall to blow up the dirty from the last years. On the coming weekend i will have a look on the car how good it is and then we will beginning very soon with the restauration. In the moment i am not sure to made it quick ready to drive and to drive sometimes this summer or if i started directly with the great job of a body of restauration. i think after next Weekend i am clear with this.