Author Topic: Twin Cam engine: front engine fit vs Europa  (Read 999 times)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Twin Cam engine: front engine fit vs Europa
« on: Sunday,July 12, 2015, 12:26:25 PM »
I was at our annual British car show yesterday when I was approached by a fellow who told me he had some Lotus parts, and inquired if I may be interested. He claimed he had a complete Twin Cam engine and a spare cylinder head, and showed me some pictures on his phone. The first picture was of a weber head with a red cam cover that had the word HART cast into it. The second picture was of a complete used Twin Cam engine with a weber head. Apparently they were part of a large parts lot that he bought years ago. He didn't know what the Lotus stuff was until a friend identified it sometime later, but being a die hard enthusiast of Japanese stuff, he has no interest in it.

I told him I was certainly interested, but money is tight and likely couldn't make a decent offer right now. He said he needs it gone, and it would be going cheap. I have been wanting a weber headed Twin Cam to build as a modified engine for my Europa, so clearly I would be remiss if I didn't at least go and see what he had to offer.

It is likely the engine is from a front engine chassis. What changes are required to use such an engine in a Europa? Of course the head needs machining to accommodate the extended camshaft for the alternator drive, but it would seem a reasonable job for a competent machine shop. Has anyone done this? Are there any other elements that need to be considered for a Europa installation?

It is likely that the history is unknown and the parts, especially the heads may be junk if they have cracks, but it is surely worth a look.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Twin Cam engine: front engine fit vs Europa
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,July 12, 2015, 12:44:36 PM »
QED in Quorn near Leicester in the UK have just done that machining for me on a brand new head, so it must be possible. .

It is highly likely to be a normal front mounted engine, as fitted to every Lotus car of that era, except the Europa.

The head would have to be checked by a machine shop for flatness as well as cracks. Weber heads in good condition are rare as hen's teeth, so they are potentially a good find.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,July 12, 2015, 12:51:57 PM »
Also the timing cover is different. The hose from the pump comes out in a different place. Instead out the side faces forward from the engine.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,July 12, 2015, 02:18:20 PM »
If it's really a Hart engine it could be well worth a punt. Did the pics look like the head was modified - ported / bigger valves?

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,July 12, 2015, 02:19:04 PM »
@ Buzzer - I think I recognise the car in your pic... I think I nearly bought it. Did it come from Denmark?

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Sunday,July 12, 2015, 03:38:41 PM »
If it's really a Hart engine it could be well worth a punt. Did the pics look like the head was modified - ported / bigger valves?
Unfortunately the pics were blurry and poorly lit. As near as I could tell the engine showed no obvious signs of being modified. It merely looked like a typical used engine pulled from a car. The pic of the spare head was from the top, and could be a Hart cam cover on a stock head for all I know.

If it is a Hart modified head, it would be a neat piece to have, but probably not suitable for a road engine. Actually, I'm curious to know the history of the head. Racing Lotus would never have been very common in this area, and this would seem an unusual find. Makes me wonder if there is more vintage Lotus racing stuff lingering around somewhere.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #6 on: Sunday,July 12, 2015, 03:43:48 PM »
Also the timing cover is different. The hose from the pump comes out in a different place. Instead out the side faces forward from the engine.

Dave
Cheers, Dave. Wasn't aware of that.

Trevor

Offline buzzer

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,July 14, 2015, 12:36:32 AM »
Yes my car did come from Denmark. been over there since 1978, i'll post some more pics and info on it when I get time and restoration is at last progressing.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK