Author Topic: The Italian connection 3522r  (Read 17909 times)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
The Italian connection 3522r
« on: Sunday,June 02, 2013, 03:01:44 AM »
They say family is everything and I must agree, from my early days of motoring I always had my younger brother around to help me sort things out. If it needed attention the spanners came out and he would address the situation. An ace in the hole with a wrench ...He was my pit crew. Some 20 years ago  he moved to Italy to oversee our family property there. After playing around with some of the local machinery {Inocenti Mini,Fiat124,Alfa Gulietta}...he obtained 3522r. Shipped from Florida, a full restoration was started . Now when I visit the homeland I have another Europa to enjoy on the the Autostrada.

Two brothers, 2 Europas...miles apart but always together.

Offline cal44

Re: The Italian connection 3522r
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,June 02, 2013, 07:40:08 AM »
Nice story Lou.  Nice car brother of Lou...........
I love a good story.............
mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #2 on: Monday,June 03, 2013, 05:26:19 AM »
Cool story. Looks like it's going to be a nice Europa.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #3 on: Monday,June 03, 2013, 04:33:54 PM »
Thanks Guys ,  The resto on 3522r was started in 06 and has continued to present and really is quite "special". The commitment of resources devoted to his ropa are exemplary...and it will be certified thru LOTUS and classified Historic in Italy.

I will ask "Vic" to send me his latest pictures & I will post. 

Offline 3929R

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,June 06, 2013, 06:28:57 AM »
 :Welcome: :coolpic:
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #5 on: Friday,September 19, 2014, 03:11:18 AM »
The resto is finally complete, my vacation was rewarded with some shake down runs along the Italian country side. I am so very proud of my brother's perseverance and skill to bring 3522r back to life. The historical paperwork had not arrived but, that did not stop us from taking her out...ld

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Friday,September 19, 2014, 06:11:04 AM »
She's beautiful, Lou!!! Congratulations on a beautiful restoration! You and your brother make a great team.
 :lotus:

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Friday,September 19, 2014, 09:43:49 AM »
Yep, that's a pretty good looking car.  I'm not generally a fan of black cars (too much cleaning required ::)  ) but  I think black really suits the Europa and that one looks great.

Brian

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #8 on: Saturday,July 23, 2016, 07:59:21 AM »
So, it was back for another holiday visit to celebrate my brother's 60th...This time we had more time to enjoy 3522r and the fruits of his labors. With a few exciting jaunts around the gorgeous country side of "le marche" region of Italy. Located just a few miles from the Adriatic coast, the twisting roads were no match for the handling of the Europa. Not even the occasional challenge from the modern Alfa, Lancia or BMW could fill our rear view mirror.

Everywhere we went people would stop and stare at this tiny pre-supercar and marvel...and ask what is it?

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,July 23, 2016, 09:05:29 AM »
Beautiful car! It sounds and looks like you and your brother had a great time!

:lotus:

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #10 on: Saturday,August 27, 2016, 04:53:10 PM »
Wanted to post these shots earlier...of the engine and some of the mods done by my brother Vic.

Canister bypassed and valve cover oil breather installed, Banks coolant header tank and NGK Bumble Bee ignition wires. Gear reduction starter and solid body fuel pump with regulator.
Mocal oil cooler with custom billet mount, rebuilt brake boosters and new lines, swapped the 4 speed with a fresh 365 and rear linkage to match. Exhaust headers by Banks and a Thrush rear muffler from Jegs.

The bottom end has a polished and balanced crank, rods, and Cosworth pistons from QED...The Strombergs are fresh but will be on the bench soon. A Weber head and carbs are at the machine shop waiting to be installed.

The engine runs strong and loud...but I fear it might have valve retardation in # 4 exhaust due to some poor fuel during the break in period...The Weber head will be getting new seats to resolve this.

During our test hops we noticed as the engine came to temp on hot days a misfire / pop was heard off throttle and at shut down.  I have advised my brother to add a lead substitute to both gas and oil.

As far my experience here in Pennsylvania, I purchase either Sunoco leaded race fuel or go to my local airport for Avgas and mix a blend which I keep a couple of jugs in the garage. ld 
« Last Edit: Saturday,August 27, 2016, 05:09:40 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,August 27, 2016, 07:54:55 PM »
Very nicely done! I'll bet it's a screamer! That Weber head will be a great addition!

The lead in the gas certainly won't hurt, but your valve seats should be fine with unleaded gas. I'm not familiar with lead in oil - which means nothing because I claim no particular knowledge about it - but I'm wondering if you are really talking about zinc (actually ZDDP) for flat tappet cams. I've heard differing views about ZDDP oil additives. In the US, there are oils that have an acceptable amount for flat tappet motors (I found this link that might be helpful: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2484100-list-of-flat-tappet-oils.html. Red Line was not listed but I've been assured that their oils have the proper amount of ZDDP). (If you meant lead in oil, then all that was wasted!  :P )

I also thought I remember that pops when coming off throttle was from an overly rich condition. Did I miss something?

Thanks for the pictures! That has to be a really sweet ride!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #12 on: Monday,August 29, 2016, 08:11:26 AM »
Very tidy Europa. He has done a lot of very nice work there. Does the car still run points ignition?
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #13 on: Sunday,February 26, 2017, 07:47:39 AM »
Update...Seems like my brother can't leave well enough alone. In speaking with him recently he's been busy updating 3522r. The investigation into the hot misfire on shut down was as suspected, as a bad valve seat. My plan is to see him again this summer for a visit some time in July...He did send me some photos of a custom car and matching fender covers he had made for him by www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk...done in lovely British racing green with Lotus emblems and a monogram of his chassis number on the front. With the exchange rate favorable to the pound sterling,it makes sense to bite the bullet for only $250...

On a side note, I am proud to share some family history with all of you. Having been born a war baby in Italy, I was always curious and fascinated of my dad's exploits in WW2...He never much talked about it...and so I spent many hours researching him, after his passing. After the annexation of Poland in 39, he was taken prisoner by the Russians and sent to a labor camp in Siberia at the age of 19...When Germany invaded the Soviet Union, some freed Poles were able to repatriate forming the Polish army, under British command in Iraq.

Serving first in Egypt, then Sicily, the British 8Th army hit the Italian mainland along with with the Polish 2ND corps. He rose in rank, making 2ND lieutenant in just 2 years, but his role during this time was quite exceptional. Seems they needed dispatch riders for critical messaging. I remembering him telling me about all the bikes he had ridden...Matchless, MV Augusta's, Triumph, BSA...even some captured BMW'S. Now, I know where my love for all things on wheels comes from.

But, to stay on point...I made a vow, to visit the military cemetery at Monte Cassino and pay respect to all those brave souls who gave all, so we can enjoy the fruits of liberty. In closing, I would like to add a picture of the medals he earned, along with a hidden Beretta which was stashed away some 70 years ago!                 
« Last Edit: Friday,April 05, 2019, 10:43:50 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #14 on: Sunday,February 26, 2017, 09:15:27 AM »
I'm glad your brother has diagnosed his problem, but it's too bad it requires taking off the head! At least it will get fixed so when you go back to Italy, you two can terrorize the windy Italian roads and delight passers by with a beautiful rare car!

That's very interesting about your dad! How wonderful that you were able to find out so much about his youth and have more to be proud of! It's too bad that he didn't tell you some about his service and the adventures he had, but that's not uncommon and probably for very good reasons.

Thanks for sharing!